3/26/12

Indexing Gordon Bladderpod In Texas

What does Gordon Bladderpod and the US Census have in common?

It occurrs 'Once a Decade'!

Thanks to the Winter Rains in drought stricken Texas, Gordon Bladderpod is right now covering  the pastures, rolling hills, and road ways in a beautiful blanket of Toxic Yellow Blooms and Pods.

The plant...yes, it's a plant...not a person...which appears in West Texas is Toxic to horses when consumed in large quantities.  It can lead to a high temperature and swelling in the animals lower body...ie..it's reference to 'bladder'.

The native to West Texas Annual is identified and Indexed in Agricultural terms as Lesquerella gordonii, a multistemmed forb with bright yellow blooms and adjoining pods.
Typically Gordon Bladderpod isn't a threat to livestock because animals have other plants to graze, but drought conditions have stressed pasture grasses and plants.  The yellow blooms will fade to a reddish color as it matures.  The hollow seed pods are key to identifying it from other non-toxic yellow spring wildflowers.
"When grazin' times are tough....the Tough get Tougher. 
Why, I can eat my weight in that lil O yellow flower. 
My mama didn't name me 'Sweet Pee' for nothin'.
BTW, my ancestors were Indexed in the 1860 US Census".

According to the 1860 US Census, there were 600,000 people and 4 million head of cattle in Texas.
  Most of the Longhorn cattle lived between the Rio Grande and Nueces Rivers.
Indexing Gordon Bladderpod in Texas written in support of the
1940 US Census Community Project

Upon it's release, the 1940 Census Community Project, a joint initiative between Archives.com, Family Search, findmypast.com and other leading genealogy organizations, will coordinate efforts to provide quick access to these digital images and immediately start indexing these records to make them searchable online with free and open access.
You, too, can support the 1940 US Census Community Project
by volunteering as a 1940 US Census Indexer.
the1940census.com
Click on Badge and Get Started Today!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, he is beautiful:@) Don't let him eat too much of that toxic plant-tough or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sue,
    I stand amazed at your knowledge in all things Texas.
    Intrigued by your posts about the 1940 census, I went straighway and joined...It's very exciting to take part in something so meaningful. I have a minor request, tho. Where did you go to find all the beautiful graphics to add to your blog and sideline.
    I just wondered if you had time to send me that information.
    I grew up in the Texas Panhandle, and my great grandparents were married in Gregg County, traveled up thru Mineola...oh, It's such a joy to me when I find out something new about them...
    I hope to hear from you soon..
    regards, glenda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.