3/19/12

1947 Woman's Day Crochet

CollectIn' The 1940's

Woman's Day was first published in 1931 as a free A&P in-store menu/recipe planner.
In 1936 with the opening of A&P's first modern supermarket in Braddock Pennsylvania, the publication was expanded to include feature articles on childcare, crafts, food preparation, cooking, home decor, needlework and health.  It sold for Two Cents.  By 1944, Woman's Day had a circulation of 3 million.  (more Woman's Day History....Woman's Day-Wikipedia)

As a Needleworker and Collector of all things 'Needlework', I was excited to add Woman's Day 1947 Crochet Annual to my Collection. 

My first interest being that it was published the year I was born and was the FIRST Crochet Annual.

Secondly, The Featured State Flower Bedspread and the block of Texas Bluebonnets.  Afterall, I am about all things TEXAS.

Funny thing about the instructions and getting the pattern for bluebonnets.  It seems that in 1947, if you wanted explicit directions for making your State Flower Block you better be from Wyoming. 

For all the rest of us, we'd better be advanced crocheters who could chart Bluebonnets using Wyomings Pattern directions as a Sample Guide, and want a Crochet State Flower Bedspread more than anything else in the whole wide world.   One should also be prepared to invest in 45 balls of white or ecru Knit-Cro-Sheen and a size 7 crochet hook.

In today's market of $2.45 per ball, the thread alone adds up to $110.25...plus a set (always buy the set..you get lots of extras) of the latest ergonomic hooks with elastomeric comfort grip,  two thread needles, a pair of high-quality thread scissors, a 4" plastic ruler and an attractive clutch for storage...all for $39...bought ONLINE.


 MyOMy...wouldn't the Crocheter's in 1947 flip out over today's prices...but they would love the 'Tulip Steel Crochet Hook Set with Scissors'.  And the Online part....they'd be scratchin' their heads over that...like I was scratchin' mine over 'Charting and Crocheting Texas Bluebonnets'.

1947 Woman's Day Crochet written in support of the
1940 US Census Community Project

Upon it's release, the 1940 Census Community Project, a joint initiative between Archives.com, Family Search, findmypast.com and other leading genealogy organizations, will coordinate efforts to provide quick access to these digital images and immediately start indexing these records to make them searchable online with free and open access.
You, too, can support the 1940 US Census Community Project
by volunteering as a 1940 US Census Indexer.

7 comments:

  1. It almost looks like tatting. Very neat little book to have!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post, Sue! Mom used to do all kinds of needlework . . . learning to Crochet was the one thing I never learned and I'm sorry I didn't (it's never too late right!). It's crazy how expensive it is now-a-days! I am very much enjoying your "1940 Census" support posts . . . learning lots of new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my mom's basket of crocheting.Never did get the hang of making dollies

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great vintage crochet, needlepoint post. I have several pieces of needlepoint I did many years ago. I love all handwork, but my eyes stopped all that. You have some very nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, what a wonderful old needlework book! A real treasure. Thanks for sharing it with us. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A&P... haven't thought about them in years. My mom shopped there when I was a kid (grew up in Georgia). Green stamps...

    I only know one knitting stitch - it's probably for the best. The crochet work is beautiful, but a bit intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you plan to chart/crochet the bluebonnets? I want to see that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.