4/28/16

AtoZ Letter X...Xanth and the Third Letter In TeXas

(l) X/'eks/n, often cap, often attrib la:  the 24th letter of the English alphabet
(2) TEN
(3)  an unknown quantity
(4)  something shaped like or marked with the letter X
(5)  the third letter in TeXas!

Now, Ya'll know that Webster was a TeXan...how else would #(5) definition get in there!

Oh All Right!!!  So I made that up!!!
But not XANTH !!!
It's a real X word and is a form of the Greek word Xanthos for YELLOW!
Which brings me back to TeXas!  The Xanth Rose is the Unofficial State Flower of TeXas!
"The Yellow Rose of Texas" is a traditional folk song. The original love song has become associated with the legend of "how a slave named Emily Morgan helped win the battle of San Jacinto, the decisive battle in the Texas Revolution." 
 
The song is based on a Texas legend from the days of the Texas War of Independence. According to the legend, a woman named Emily D. West — a mulatto, and hence, the song's reference to her being "yellow" — who was seized by Mexican forces during the looting of Galveston seduced General Antonio López de Santa Anna, President of Mexico and commander of the Mexican forces. The legend credits her supposed seduction with lowering the guard of the Mexican army and facilitating the Texan victory in the Battle of San Jacinto waged in 1836 near present-day Houston. Santa Anna's opponent was General Sam Houston, who won the battle literally in minutes, and with almost no casualties.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - very clever collection of 'X' snippets - wonderful ... Yellow Rose of Texas is a great song ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful rose. I've had two yellow roses here, one being the Stephen F. Austin rose. The other was called Graham Thomas. I loved them both, and was able to successfully start several more of the Graham Thomas roses from cuttings. The drought a few years back killed them, though.

    The story of the girl with Santa Anna kind of makes me think of Samson and Delilah, both girls bringing down these powerful, strong men. And they think we are the weak ones. :)

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So X-cited to learn the story of the Yellow Rose of Texas. What a story! I loved that song in my childhood and I seem to recall a Roy Rogers movie of the same name? Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how perfectly this worked out for you. And I love the Scrabble photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You triumphed with X. Perfect TeXas tale and pics

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that bit of Texas trivia. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea that's what "Yellow Rose of Texas" meant.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! I didn't know this backstory. Thanks for sharing.

    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  9. No X in my state of Idaho. But I could say my Yellow tulips are in bloom, and they're.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's funny I always thought the yellow rose was the official state flower. Webster was a Texan and Im sure proud of the fact.
    Im blogging from Fill the cracks and Moondustwriter's Blog. Happy last dayzzz of A to Zing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.