4/25/16

AtoZ Letter U...Unexpected Realism and Reflection Underglass

The SAMFA's Spring Showcase is featuring a National Ceramic Competition which opened April 15th and will be on exhibit until June 26th.  Yesterday, on my day off, I made time to go.  Before I get into the focus of this post on Letter U, let me share a bit of my background in ceramics.
 
As part of my Masters degree in Art Education, I was required to take graduate level ceramic courses.  Since I had not taken even one undergraduate course in ceramics, I was a complete novice when it came to clay and all it entailed...including the potters wheel and the chemistry of  glazes.  I was a Painter, Graphic and Fiber Artist...not a three dimensionalist. 

I LOVED CLAY!  From the first time I sat at the potters wheel and threw my first pot, I was hooked and successful.  It was like I had been molding clay for years.  I think I was a potter in a previous life...a utilitarian potter.  It seemed every pot I threw had to have a use...be it a cup, plate, bowl or vase.  I was no more an Abstractionist in clay than I was in my two dimensional art forms.

Being a Realist through and through, I had to learn Abstractionism through the rules and skills of abstract thinking and how they applied to Art and specifically to Ceramics.  Which brings me to attending a Ceramics Show whenever the opportunity arises.  I have learned to appreciate, admire, and be in awe of Ceramic Artists Abstractionism. 
Was there Abstract Ceramics at this show? 
Absolutely! 
Was I appreciative and in awe of the Abstractionist? 
Undeniably!
Needless to say, I was blown away by this
Unexpected Realism and Reflection Underglass!
 
Undeniably...Abstraction Underglass!
More Wonderous Realism/Abstractionism in Letter 'W'.

12 comments:

  1. Funny how you took to clay. I guess sometimes things just fit.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise for me! I eventually opened a small pottery studio and made utilitarian pottery...dishes. Loved it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue - your appreciation and understanding of your potting - is wonderful to read ... I love the pots ... but you understand it - and that's something I'd need to get to - wonderful the Show was near you .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am happy to have a museum close by that offers a variety of 'Artsy Events'. They were having an Orchestra Concert while I was there viewing the show. Nice!

      Delete
  3. How exciting! I've never thrown a pot...a bowl or two, maybe (but not the same meaning of "throw" here) I don't know a thing about creating pottery, but I would love to!

    My fourth great-grandfather was a potter in Georgia. He was originally from Edgefield, South Carolina, and was a pioneer in the alkaline glazing technique. His name was Allen Gunter.

    I think that sculpture of the woman up in your post is amazing!

    Have a blessed day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat that you have an ancestor that was a potter. I bet you would take right to it...in the Genes...ya know! And here we go with in common stuff...my paternal ancestors were Georgia Pioneers having migrated through of all places...Edgefield, South Carolina. Lots of interesting history...I bet we share much of it from the Revolutionary War forward. Cool, huh?

      Delete
    2. Yes, way cool! What were the surnames of your paternal ancestors that came through Edgefield? Who knows, maybe we're related. :) Both David and I have multiple family lines from the Edgefield area.

      I was born in Anderson County, SC, and David was born in Fulton County, GA. We moved here to Texas in 2004, just in time for the Thanksgiving Flood and Christmas snow. :)

      One thing that I think is incredibly funny is that my mother-in-law was born and raised here in Texas and I recently discovered that she also has roots in Edgefield. We knew my late father-in-law had roots there, but had no idea that she did, too.

      It really is a small world, isn't it? I look forward to hearing from you. Family history is my passion. :)

      Have a blessed evening!

      Delete
  4. You are SO multi-talented! That old woman is amazing but a little bit creepy. I loved the blue and white pot above her head in one of the pictures - more my style :) Leanne @ cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess she is a bit creepy, but also a unique and beautiful view of aging that is almost always saved for youth. The blue and white pot is a beautiful example of realism with a touch of abstraction which I didn't get a picture of. It had a very abstract lid.

      Delete
  5. I sometimes hate going into museums and shops that feature pottery and glass because I want it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. That is why I'm always glad they allow photos...no flash.

      Delete
  6. Sue, I have been looking for a way to e-mail you, but can't find an e-mail address on your profile. Could you please e-mail me at:
    celticmama36 @ gmail.com (removing the spaces). Thanks!

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.