4/11/16

AtoZ Letter I...Inspired by Ink

The class description read:  Graduate advanced studio workshop.  Extensive 3-5 weeks for career professional artist working in the contemporary art field.  Pertains to serious students pursuing their creative endeavor in the art world.
Objectives and Learning Activities:  Turn your concepts into a reality.  Develop own personal style and technique while furthering practiced and educated skills.  Advanced fast drawing for formulating finished original camera ready art. 
Primary Media:  Airbrush Ink
Instructor:  Boyd Elder.  1975 Grammy nominee for Best Album cover artist for the Eagles 'One of These Nights' album.  Degree from Chouinard Art School of the California Institute of the Arts studying on an honorary Disney Scholarship.  Artwork and designs featured in Texas Monthly, Vogue and Art Form.  Born in El Paso, Texas, and raised in West Texas town of Valentine.

Needless to say, the Sul Ross Art Department had scored a major coup in offering this summer class with a celebrity artist.  I was first in line to register. 

The fact that I had never held an airbrush and had a limited INK drawing background was not a big concern going into the class.  After all, I was an advanced watercolorist  with experience using Fisket, Rubber Cement, Vellum, Masking Tape and Illustration Board. 

Then there was this:  Have the following questions answered the FIRST DAY of class...Major area of art...List of all training and education...Where you plan to go with your talent and education...Expectations from this class. 
What is your opinion of Contemporary Art?

Yikes!  I am a Traditional Still Life and Landscape Artist. 
What was I thinking signing up for this class?
Teach people who do not know art is difficult that they are creative.
People who are creative are inspired people.
Stanislav Szukalski
A Traditional Still Life and Landscape Artist
Inspired by Contemporary Ink!

18 comments:

  1. I like traditional, too, but, it's always fun to try something new. Who knows, we might learn something we can use for our traditional art (only quilting for me, I can't draw anything, including stick figures).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too, am a traditional quilter, but can branch out and abstract just about any pattern...thanks to my art background. You do draw you know....just with needle and thread!

      Delete
  2. FUN! Do you know about fountain pen ink, all sorts? Our son just shared his discoveries with me. It looks addicting! http://www.gouletpens.com/noodlers-writing-instruments/c/130

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I do know about fountain pen ink as well as other pens like bamboo, feather and more. Great for special effects. I bet you are enjoying those skills with your journaling.

      Delete
  3. I love it! that sounds very fun. Expand your horizons anytime. And you are SO talented in any medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoy the change, challenge and trying something different.

      Delete
  4. I love the Stanislav Szukalski quote! Thanks for sharing it. I also really like your feather images. So pretty. :) I am glad that you went for it even when you wondered why you were doing it. That is brave, in my opinion. I have a tendency to be a perfectionist...a fancy name for a scaredy-cat. That has kept me from pursuing many creative things that I would have loved to do. Cheers to you for going for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quote came from a lecture by Boyd Elder...I had written it in my sketch book way back in 1987...never knowing how it would come into play all these years later. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. It is funny the things that come into play so many years later. :)

      You're welcome. Have a blessed evening!

      Delete
  5. Yikes, girl! You did great! Happy A2Z-ing :)
    Guilie @ Life In Dogs (and member of co-host Damyanti's team, D's Company )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was fun looking back through my sketch book and all the inky stuff. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. In the examples you have here, I like both modern and traditional art. Nice work. :)

    Live and Learn visiting from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like both of them as well.

      Delete
    2. I visited your Letter I and wanted to leave a comment, but could not get to the comment box. So, I hope you will revisit here so I can tell you how much I enjoyed reading the poem. I also, overeat, but not often. Lucky me, I have a high metabolism and do everything at the speed of light...that works it off pretty fast.

      Delete
  7. Ages ago I tried using my ceramic acrylic paints on canvas. But other mediums on canvas I haven't tried.
    One thing I do like is play with color combos...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acrylic paint is a versatile medium...works well on canvas, paper, ceramics and more. Color play...something for everyone in all walks of life

      Delete
  8. Shucks -- I thought you were going to show us your collection of tattoos. Even a traditional landscape artist benefits from exposure to other mediums and styles. You did great. Love the feathers especially. I like contemporary art, especially mixed media. I must be drawn (punster!) to texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I figured I would be flooded with Google Tattoo lookers with INK in the title. Feathers have long been my 'Artist Symbol'. I want a Feather Tattoo.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.