4/4/16

AtoZ Letter C... Comforting Crochet

When I first learned to crochet, it was not comforting. I've posted about those early years of doily disasters, skinny thread, and hooks the size of pinheads.

It was so not Comforting that I gave it up for many years until the Age of Aquarius Era called for Granny Square Ponchos, Vests and Afghans. Oh, for the smell and feel of a skein of Red Heart acrylic yarn...what a blessing to my life as a 'Free Spirited Hooker'...J Hook was my favorite and still is today.
 
Now that I am in my 'Golden Crochet Years', I find great comfort in being a Granny Square Granny.  It's so familiar, simple, and adapts to all kinds of projects and yarns.  In the last few years it has made a big comeback in the Crochet World with Pinterest Crocheters giving Granny Makeovers with a Modern Flair! 

This current Work In Progress was started with the thought it would comfort the person it is being made for.  That's what 'Prayer Shawl's are meant to be...a comfort to infuse healing, good thoughts and prayers of protection...all thoughtfully worked into every stitch.  Instead....it has infused healing,  warmed my heart, lifted my spirits, and protected my soul with every stitch. 
I am so 'Granny Square Comforted.
What a blessing to my
Golden Age Crochet Comforted Spirit and Soul. 

16 comments:

  1. I think crocheting is like knitting - soothing and useful in its end result - what more could you ask for :) Leanne @ cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I often make things as decorative, I ultimately am a utilitarian minded crafts person. I am happiest when what I make is comforting and useful.

      Delete
  2. my grandmother crocheted while watching baseball. I tried to learn, but what a tangled mess. Glad it brings you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes years of crocheting to be able to not look at what your needle and thread are doing. Your grandmother was a whiz and I bet she didn't miss a stitch. Good thing about crochet as opposed to knitting, it is easy to rip out if a stitch is missed. Knitting not so easy.

      Delete
  3. I never could master crochet - being a left hander in a right handed world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good gosh - thank you for including me in your blogroll too!

      Delete
    2. I've taught lots of left handers...it's a mirror image learning techinique. Crochet hooks are fit either hand. It's never to late to learn. You'd love it! Oh, Yes, you are for sure on my AtoZ Blog Roll. I don't want to miss your posts and folks visiting me will want to visit your, too.

      Delete
  4. Great C! I do crochet as well but have not done granny squares yet. i'll have to give them a try someday. Thanks for stopping by my blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Squares are the easiest with simple single and double crochet. Lots of books and free patterns on Pinterest. You'll love them.

      Delete
  5. I wish I had the patience to learn how to crochet. My oldest daughter loves crocheting things. I'm happy to keep her in yarn for her projects, but that's the closest I get to crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are closer than you think...keep her in yarn and I bet you will benefit in a very warm way!

      Delete
  6. I never learned how to crochet but I love the idea of it. Making something to comfort a friend is a lovely idea :)
    Debbie from My Random Musings (.co.uk) left the link like this so it affect your Google rankings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those of us who crochet there is always someone or a group who needs and appreciates handmade items. I love making shawls for friends and prayer shawl groups. Thanks for the Google link...I'll be making my way across the pond to check out your Letter 'C'. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad for all you hookers who create those afghans and baby sweaters to comfort the rest of us who don't know how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally re-learned how to chain stitch (if I can remember if I'm supposed to go over or under with the yarn). Not sure I'll ever get to the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crocheting - the love of my life. The numbered hooks with those hooks the size of pinheads haven't been part of my crocheting life for many years. My personal favorite is the H hook. I get the ones now with the fat handles; better for the light arthritis in my hands. Alana@RamblinGarden from
    Ramblin with AM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.