1/5/16

January Flower...The Carnation

Early years sketch books are filled with practice doodles in watercolor, pencil and pastel mediums.   As I browsed through both my sketch books and portfolios of finished pieces, I was surprised at how often my January flower...the Carnation...appeared.  It is not my favorite flower.  Next months flower is my favorite.

Perhaps my brush was guided by my innate January being, and the carnation simply flowed onto the paper.  Some of that may be so, but it is more likely due to the fact that the carnation is one flower that is easily abstracted and still recognizable.

The carnation's history dates back to ancient Greek and Roman times, when it was used in art and décor.  Christians believe that the first carnation bloomed on earth when Mary wept for Jesus as he carried the cross.
Meanings of the carnation include fascination, distinction and love.  Light red carnations are often used to convey admiration and deeper reds express sentiments of love and affection.  White carnations are associated with purity and luck, and pink carnations are often given as a sign of gratitude.  In the early part of the 20th Century, carnations became the official flower of Mother's Day...white for the memory of ones Mother in heaven and red for ones Mother still living.
 
To this day, carnations remain a favorite flower as they are immediately recognizable flowers that possess a charm and allure that continues to captivate.  In many parts of the world, carnations are the first choice over many flowers including roses.  Their long lasting freshness and variety of colors make them a mainstay in the floral industry.
If your birth flower is carnation...
You are a sensitive person.
You are very protective towards your family and friends.
You are very ambitious and aim to achieve big things in life.
You are a very helpful friend.

6 comments:

  1. I love the watercolors and I do like carnations. So this is a lovely post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watercolors are my favorite painting medium. I'm looking forward to sharing my portfolio each month.

      Delete
  2. Well done! I love carnations even though they aren't considered "cool" anymore. Don't they smell good? They are very celebratory to me. This month they celebrate YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the first flowers I look for at the florist for special occasions, and usually include them in a mixed arrangement. I like that...this month they celebrate me...thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love carnations - they are such a long lived cut flower. Have never been able to grow them, though. I enjoyed your pictures, especially the last one. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried to grow them. Texas dirt is probably not carnation friendly, besides, they are inexpensive at the florist...another reason to love carnations.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.