12/21/12

Gluten Free Baking for Christmas

It's been way tooooo long since I posted about Gluten Free Cooking and Baking.
I do want you to know that I haven't given it up....Gluten Free Cooking and Eating.
Nope, it's a permanent part of my life.  You know that when the stockers at the grocery store tag you
The Label Reading Lady.
They are really helpful...the stockers...they Tag the isles and shelves Gluten Free and then direct traffic around that isle warning shoppers that the Label Reading Lady is parked there for an unknown amount of time.  Isn't that nice?  They also stock a variety of Gluten Free Pre-Mixes for Pizza, Cakes, Cookies and more QuickNeasy cooking and baking.  As much as I like Quick and Easy, I don't buy many of those products now that I have learned to Bake and Cook Gluten Free from Scratch.
 Instead, I buy Gluten Free Flours and other ingredients called for in my collection of Gluten Free Cookbooks.
Like Gluten Free Every Day by Robert M. Landolphi. 
It really is an everyday kind of cookbook. 
This morning I made a loaf of GF Bread and decided to make a batch of Christmas Cookies while I had my counter full of baking stuff....and...
I was in the mood !
Of course the Bread Recipe is MINE and you can find the recipe and tutorial for bread machine gluten free bread at this link:
You'll also find a list of  GF Cooking and Baking Posts at this link:
Now....Let's bake these cookies....
As you can see, other than the GF Flours, the rest of the ingredients are pretty much what you would have in your cabinet and pantry.  Even the oven setting is a standard Cookie 350 degrees, however, I will give you a quick tip about Timing for Doneness...it takes longer.  Not hotter....just longer in the oven.  This recipe suggested 10 to 12 minutes....up that to 15 on the lower rack and another couple of minutes on the top rack while the second batch is on their first 15 minutes.  (Keep in mind YOUR OVEN's idiosync's...mine may be on the low side of 350 degrees)

The recipe says to drop a teaspoon of the dough two inches apart.
That tells me the dropped dough will flatten and spread out...wouldn't you think so?
Well, it doesn't...much...so I spread the teaspoon full out and put them closer together!
Makes for more cookies on the sheet per batch and fewer batches!
That's a plus when the recipe makes SIX DOZEN cookies!
Have you ever made PENUCHE Frosting?
I'd never even heard of it...much less made or eaten any...that I knew of!
I don't put stuff on my food that I don't know 'What IsIt'.
So, I Googled it!
Penuche (Italian: panucci) is a fudge-like candy made from brown sugar, butter, and milk, using no flavorings except for vanilla.  Penuche often has a tannish color, and is lighter than regular fudge.
Funny thing....this Italian fudge/frosting is primarily a Regional food
found in New England and some places in the Southern US.
Oh Yeah, I have eaten that Light Brown Fudge...here in Texas we call that 'Muddy Fudge'.
Anyway, I made 'Muddy Frosting', sprinkled it with Snow (powdered sugar) and Red Sprinkles!
Mmmmm....That's Amore'!!!!
And It's Going To Be So Good To Be
Home for The Holidays
with Beverly at
 How Sweet the Sound Pink Saturday
 
Merry Christmas Ya'll

6 comments:

  1. The cookies look good and I love that embroidery! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good, I am gonna have to try that one soon!
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your embroidered towel looks darling and those cookies sound yummy! I've never heard of penuche frosting before but I love fudge, so it must be tasty. :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies look very yummy! Thanks for sharing them with us. I know there are many, many readers out there who are on Gluten Free diets.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are having dinner tonight with a friend that must eat gluten free. I found boxes of gluten cookies at Fresh & Easy. I'm taking them as part of a hostess gift. Just had to buy them since the brand was Pamela's. haha

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Pam....a very good choice for a GF Hostess! Pamela's Brand is one of my favorite Flour Mixes...the best Pancakes and Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe I've found.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.