4/10/15

AtoZ Letter I ~ Iowa Test...Not My IQ

12-08-64
Dear Parent, Your student recently was tested by the ITOED.  Please note your student's score as charted on the graph and interpreted on the percentile key.  The scores are applicable to future education pursuits...ie college entrant requirements.  Thank you for selecting SRA presscore for testing your child's aptitude and educational developmental skills.

Yes, it happened...my Mother had me tested.  In truth, everyone's mother had them tested.  It was part of the senior year experience in preparation for graduation and just in case you decided to go to college.  I wasn't going...to college, and I didn't want to be tested.  I knew there would be 'math word problems'...that was a problem because every time I saw a math word problem it looked like this:  If you have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes will fit on a roof?

My parents were pleased with the test results and said, "Look here, Sue, you scored above average on all but parts 5 and 6, and they weren't even math word problems.  I'm not sure what the rest of the numbers mean, but surely it must mean you have an Above Average IQ."  They were happy, so I was happy and I still wasn't going to college so the ITOED letter and results went straight to the scrapbook box along with the Junior year report card.
I had no grade worries especially in MB (Marching Band), WH (World History) and PE/Athletics.  Never mind about the B's and C's in Algebra...I passed, but that big red 50 sent my Dad into outer space and that was years before even Neal Armstrong went there. 

Getting algebra was worse than word problems...how in the world was I suppose to get an answer to a problem that looked like this...a + (2 x b2 (squared) -27) =____...really...when would anyone use that...not me...I was not going to college....even though I did kind of want to be a basketball coach, and had a chance for a basketball scholarship.  But as my Dad pointed out 'big red 50's' and below average #'s 5 and 6 was not promising.  "Oh well," said I, "I'll just marry a coach".

Years later...after college, after becoming a basketball coach and after Neil Armstrong walked on the moon I opened the scrapbook box and discovered that the Iowa Test of Educational Development was not an IQ test.  Thank God...all those years I thought my IQ was 59 just because it was the last number on the 'key'.  Somewhere I read that a score that low was close to what Daffy Duck called a 'Maroon' (moron). 
Just to double check and confirm that I am not a 'Maroon', I took an online IQ Test.
IQ Test
OMG...it was full of 'word problems'!
I just checked the multiple choice answer that was closest to
the number of pancakes on the roof!
 
Alana....Ramblin with AM

18 comments:

  1. Pancakes on the roof?! Oh, you had me laughing out loud. I used to be good at Algebra at school, then uni happened and we had a maths teacher who managed to confuse everyone, even those who had an A at A level. We got him thrown off the course because he was so bad. I understand the pure maths students thought he was amazing, but then pure maths is an art and we were engineering students :).
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pure Math, huh? As if plain ole math wasn't confusing enough. Engineered that guy right out of the course...wow! I tried getting out of Algebra II, but my Dad engineered me right back in the course. He never got over that Big Red 50.

      Delete
  2. LOL. A humorous look at how misleading and difficult to interpret all those tests are. We make our kids take so many of them now it is ridiculous. I always loved those word problems and algebra but nobody enjoys those tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really...you loved word problems....Girl, your pancakes must have been lined up just right with the Stars. I'm pretty sure my order got filled with a short stack.

      Delete
  3. This post really made me laugh. Mostly because this week, as I was going through boxes, I came across my old high school yearbook. They were certainly golden years, but I'm so glad they are gone ;-) I too lacked in the math skills, which was totally evident in Algebra class. I was never planning on being a rocket scientist, so why did I need this stuff anyway? Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got a good LOL from this post...I know my high school yearbooks make be laugh til I cry! I think rocket science might have been easier than Algebra. LOL!!

      Delete
  4. I didn't save any test scores although I remember receiving them. I do have the certificate from the Health Parade in elementary school -- does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it counts. Your health is everything!

      Delete
  5. chuckle. But you kinda use algebra in all of your sewing. In your mind you can measure cloth correctly and sew it all together without bunches leftover. I was obnoxious in hoarding a lot of straight A's, but not in PE or Home Ec. We'd make a good team. Happy Friday! You are an awesome minion - excellent week in the A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG...I do???...use Algebra in sewing....No way! If that is true, then I will have to recant every thing I've ever said about 'stupid algebra'. You are kidding right? It's been fun being a minion...thanks!

      Delete
  6. LOL @"If you have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes will fit on a roof? " We were in the same boat, Sue, Maths and Algebra gave me heebie-jeebies too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I broke out in the heebie-jeebies every time I walked in the math class....so yes, we were in the same boat full of pancakes!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sue .. well that's great .. and I was reasonably good at maths .. but wasn't allowed to progress with it .. and my parents didn't want me to take our IQ testing at school .. so I didn't .. I was hopeless ... yet now - who says what! I never went to University, though got a professional qualification in my 40s .. that I decided I really didn't want to use ... our abilities can come to life at all ages ... mine seem to be my 60s! After I'd stopped playing sport etc .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late to learn and many of us classified as Seniors ...again...have a great capacity for learning. I'm just glad I get to choose what I want to learn. Obviously, Algebra will not be one of them. I know for sure I am learning a lot about the UK and your Cornwall Theme in this AtoZ Challenge.

      Delete
  8. In the 1960's I don't think the teachers thought girls were any good and math and they did not encourage us, I think that has so much to do with how we learn. Your post was really enjoyable to read, I relate to so much of the same things. Aren't you glad your Momma saved all of this.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a teachers encouragement is critical to learning. For me, moving played a big part in not getting math. I was always behind, and stuff like Algebra did not make sense. I was pretty good with geometry....when I started quilting. Craziest thing! And, yes, I am so glad my Mom saved the tests, photos and everything. Otherwise, you guys would have to take my WORDS for it...Big Red 50's and all!!!

      Delete
  9. Math was always my worst subject too, until geometry came along, and I got extra points just for memorizing the definitions. Beautiful photos of you, and I never doubted your IQ for a second! How nice that your mom saved all of your pictures and reports.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Algebra and word problems were/still are my downfall. See, we still had full, interesting lives, even without algebra.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.