4/3/15

AtoZ Letter C~ Creation of a Cowgirl

When everyone from Texas to Timbuktu knows your Daddy is a cowboy, it is a given that his offspring will be little buckaroos, born to sit a saddle, ride, rope and wear wranglers. Your first booties are not knitted by grandma, but leather tooled by Tony Lama. 

Since I was born in Iowa while my Daddy was stationed in Japan,  my denim diapers and boots were saved for my baby brother born 1 year and 2 months later.  Yep, Dad got leave to see his baby girl and made sure the wranglers and boots would be filled in short order.

By the time we settled back in Texas I was surely a disappointment to my Bronc Buster Dad with my preference for dresses and not dungarees, for patent leather and not rawhide, for lace and not a lasso.  However, when the 'Pony Pose Photographer' came to town I agreed to the Annie Oakley costume over my puffy sleeve dress. 

Dad must have been pleased as a cow puncher.  I was petrified. That smile...fake!  I did kind of like the hat though. 

The Pony Show and Tell continued as my brother was next and well, see for yourself how pleased he was to be Hopalong Cassidy. 
I must admit he was pretty cute! 

By 1956 we three Iowa borns...Mom, brother and me...were transplanted Texans.

We had become totally immersed in the Cowboy Culture as seen in this photo of Mom and her native born Texas sidekick. 

There they stand and pose, my Mom and sister...real Texas Cowgirls on the cow patty range.  Sure hope they had on their Tony Lamas.

YipeeKiYay...Git Along Little Doggies.

Here I stand in my wrangler extra slims, western pearl snaps shirt, strangling red bandana, and Tony Lamas.  The night before my Mom surprised me with another kind of  Tony...a Toni Perm so my hair would have that Cowgirl Curl.

It's the 'Drowned Rat' photo psychology all over again...and yet again, I'm not feelin' the Beauty.  (Letter B's Bathing Beauty Bombs)

I cried all the way to school that day.  It was picture day! 

I managed to smile for the camera.
 
When I started my Family History Blog, Tracks of My Texas Ancestors, I chose this picture as my Profile Photo. 

It is the one photo of me that my Dad carried in his wallet for the rest of his life.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - what great recollections ... and your mother was obviously determined you were going to be a real girl - she was clever in realising that the next day was photo day at the school - yet your Dad obviously loved you and your hairstyle .. long legged (though not in the mug shot!) with a great head of hair .. lovely photos and memories .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I am sure mother had planned the hairdo just in time for pictures. I remember being so upset over the outfit and the hair, but today, I treasure these pictures and the memories.

      Delete
  2. It's so lovely your dad kept that picture of you in his wallet. You look adorable on that horse in the first photo too :). I've only ever been on a horse twice in my life and the second time it was a holiday pony trek with a horse so placid me and him came to an arrangement, if he wouldn't stop to eat every five minutes, when we stopped to gather the troops he could eat what he liked without me complaining ;).
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pony photos are real treasures for sure. I have had numerous people say they too, have them from that time period...traveling pony show photographer. Loved your horse riding story. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Living up north, I really miss the boots, and the cowboys in their starched jeans. I do remember the perms (and the smell). I hated those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once a Texas Gal...always! Glad you get to come back once in awhile to get a Texas Fix!

      Delete
  4. Oh, but you're *beautiful*! Even if you weren't thrilled about the hair, it did make for a lovely and classic photo! I have a couple pictures like that too, where I was like, 'BUT MOM!!!' and now I look back and they are pretty nice. Mom was right :P
    Happy C day, my wHooligan!
    ~AJ Lauer
    an A-Z Cohost
    @ayjaylauer on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks! Somehow BUT MOM....was always right! Thanks AJ...love being on your team of Hooligans!

      Delete
  5. Awe, at least Daddy got a treasure out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he did, and knowing that was heartfelt to me.

      Delete
  6. Lady, do I ever remember the Toni curl. The Mama gave me a perm just before school started from 1st to 6th grade. The smell, yuk! I'm from a cowboy town, too. I didn't get my first cowboy boots until I was living in the big city. lol
    Cool post. I didn't learn to swim until I was in high school, and then I became a fish.:-)
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there would be other Toni Curl Gals out there that would know exactly what I was talking about. Good memories about getting cowboy boots. I don't remember ever being without a pair.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful memories. Your last sentence slays me! :'-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne....I know...that last sentence gets to me, too.

      Delete
  8. I have cousins who are just the opposite - born in Texas but grew up in Iowa. Of the three siblings - one is an emergency room physician, one is a Foreign Service officer and one taught for many years at a community college in Texas (yes, he ended up moving back to Texas as an adult). Interesting to see photos of our childhood - I don't have that many. I am enjoying yours. A fellow A to Z'er - Alana at Ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother permed my hair too. Dang I think she got away with it until 5th grade and I finally said "Stop Please"
    I was born in Missouri 50 miles off the Iowa line and transplanted to Texas at age 14. Been here ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great A to Z challenge. I have a picture of my brother on a pony like that. I don't think I ever got to sit on a horse until I was much older!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.