5/19/13

SkyVue Drive In...On The AtoZ Road Trip

Betcha didn't know about the Sky Vue Drive In Picture Show...
or even that there were any left still in operation.
Sure enough, there is a least this one in Lamesa, Texas,
and as you can see showing the latest
 Hollywood Movie of 2013...The Great Gatsby!
 
It's like a trip back to the 1950's and 60's when a whole carload could see a movie for $5 or less.  Last night at the Sky Vue the charge was $5 per person and children under 5 Free...what a bargin. The SkyVue was established in 1948, is well know throughout the state of Texas and New Mexico.  It is one of a handful of Drive In Theaters remaining in Texas today.  Generation after generation of folks keep coming back to the Sky Vue for the 'Outdoor Movie' experience and the SkyVue's Legendary Chihuahua Sandwich made right there in the concession stand.  The stacked fried corn torillas filled with homemade chili, onions, shredded cabbage and pimento chees with a jalapeno pepper on the side is a speciality that keeps em coming back......HERE is the Recipe.  HERE is Map and More about the SkyVue DriveIn.
I passed by the SkyVue Saturday while OnThe Road to Hobbs, New Mexico,
and immediately thought about The AtoZ RoadTripsters. 
 
I'm on the AtoZ RoadTrip today...here's the Blogs I've visited. 
Kathy at Swagger
Yolanda Renee at Defending The Pen
Kimberly at Inspirefly
Mark at Left and Write
 
More Amazing Blogs On My
AtoZ Blog Roll

9 comments:

  1. I -really- miss drive-ins....they were a great alternative to sitting in a dark movie house and paying hugely inflated prices for junk food.

    Ah, those were the days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fond memories of drive-ins. A great way to keep a carload of kids happy. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.
    Kathy @ Swagger Writers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my friends and I LOVE loading up a car full and driving an hour down to Graham TX to go to the Drive-In! On weekends when we cant get away we've got our private mini "flamingo Drive-in" in the back yard to tide us over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when the drive in in our town changed from charging by the car to charging per person. We started stuffing people in the trunk until we got inside. (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to a drive-in—and I'd love to go!

    I remember my mom telling me that she and my dad used to go to the drive-in often, and her brother, who was very small for his age, would hide in the trunk and get in for free. LOL

    Thanks for the blitz. What a great way to start my Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see these relics still up and operating. We have a nice one, 30 minutes from here. It's the go-to place in the summer. They recently had to do a massive fundraising campaign to make the switch to digital capability or it was going to close. Luckily, many people stepped up to donate, so it will enjoy many more years of business. Thanks for highlighting your drive-in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a drive-in that's been in operation since the 50s in the town next door. This is a great reminder that we need to take the boys to this experience...
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember going on dates to the drive in in San Angelo, where the Hobby Lobby is now. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think there is one left in the Denver metro area not far from my house. The other one is in Fort Collins and that is a big college town so.... I loved the drive in movies. The good junk food too! Hee Hee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.