10/21/12

Button Buttons...Who Has Blue Buttons???

I Do-I Do...1930's Blue Buttons and a few Patterns Too!!!


The 1930's Depression Era buttons can be a lot of fun to collect for FUN and PROFIT.
Yeah, Buddy!  How excited do you think I was to find that bit of information
 when doing some research on my Vintage Button Collection?
I take it in spells....this Button Bustin' Obsession...and it's usually the 1930's Buttons!
Once I start sifting through the boxes, jars, drawers, and bags, I can't stop!
As soon as I find a really unique one, I'm all over Google to confirm my RARE find.
1930's Buttons are not usually as valuable as buttons made from stones or jewels,
but these trendy and practical buttons have a lot of nostalgia connected with them.
There are several factors that determine the value of any of these vintage buttons.
Basically it has to do with the CONDITION of the button.  UhOh!!
As is true with many collectibles, it is the items that are well-preserved that command a higher price.
In the case of buttons, a set of four that have never been removed from their
original packaging are likely to sell for a nice price.  UhOh!!
However, even buttons that were used at one time but maintained with care will sell very well.
That's Three UhOh Strikes!!!
The pedigree of vintage buttons will impact the market value...that is the
Who What Where and When Factor.
To verify that the button came from a gown worn by a major motion picture actress from the
 Golden Age of Hollywood adds to their mystique and allure for collectors.
Yipppeeee...Jackpot.....Made in U.S.A.
The rest of the Card on Betty Grabels Blouse!
 
Whatever the case, there is money to be made with vintage buttons. 
 
Valuable artifacts may be found in old sewing baskets or stored away in the attic ... or in Old Smuckers Jars.
 
As with all collectibles, it is a good idea to have the buttons appraised before attempting to sell them on the open market.
 
Ya'll do know I did all this research for those of YOU who are Vintage Button Collectors?
Really, I DID!
 
You see....mine may be broken, chipped and have the original 1930's Dirt and Grime,
but....
they are PRICELESS!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lesson! I pick them up when I see them, love the old packages etc. Or last year I gave my cousin a big jar of them for her craft projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buttons too! Which web site are you looking at to help identify your buttons? Mine are all just a big mess, dumped into jars. I don't think I have anything valuable. But I love them anyway and would like to learn more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue! Good seeing you! I find the days pass too quickly so I never get around blog town like I want too! But I sure enjoy your research and stories! I have some buttons, nothing like your collection! I do love all the blue! Those patterns are incredible! Wow! I can't believe the cost of them today! Yikes! But I pick them up at the thrift store occasionally! I don't sew, was berated by a high school teacher into thinking I had no talent! Someday I might find a little machine and try it! My oldest sis was a dream on the sewing machine! She was very talented!
    Thanks for the sweet comment at my blog and thank you for the lovely Monday morning fun! Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are old buttons I really treasure. I made a bracelet from some along with earrings my little mama used to wear. Also have made and sold a lot of jewelry made from vintage and antique but the buttons are really getting costly now.
    Now you have me wanting to look for the blue ones (())

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting and valuable button collection. I've only a few :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a bunch of old buttons; I never thought that they'd be worth anything. Yours are blue-tiful!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Blue Monday, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so interesting! I never knew buttons could be valuable. When my Mom passed away I gave her long time button collection to a friend who sews. I was happy she was able to find uses for the buttons and enjoyed the gift. Your blue buttons are pretty. Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never know sometimes what things are worth, until you have given them away. You have a great assortment of nice buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of buttons!

    My Blue Monday are here and here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoda thunk? I'm sure if I had bothered saving any buttons, I'd be out on all 3 strikes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some pretty blue buttons. I really like the glass looking ones. Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is my kind of Blue. Love the buttons and patterns

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute buttons!

    Visiting from Blue Monday.
    Planes on a Blue Sky is my Blue entry.
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Sue, We are in Fl and I didn't get to visit much yesterday. I love your buttons and the information My aunt has a huge collection of buttons and makes lots of money selling them. She once traded many of her buttons for a vintage Cadillac car. She is known all over the United States as the button queen. Some of the collections she buys are $10,000. Welcome to the world of awesome buttons. Buttons are fun and there is money to be made.

    Happy Blue Monday,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love buttons, too!

    I always buy them when I see them!

    I have a huge jar!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.