8/6/18

Needle Doodling and Subconscious Incubation

Doodling...to Scribble Absentmindedly!
I've been a 'Doodler' my entire life and never really thought about it being a 'Thing'.  It is such a 'Thing' that Google, Wikipedia, Pinterest, UTube and scores of internet sites are as absentminded as I am. 
 Like most lifetime doodlers, I started with crayons, graduated to pencils, pens, paint and other two dimensional Art mediums.  I even passed on my 'Absentmindedness' to my Junior High Art Students with a lesson on Doodling around common objects.  I wonder if they have become lifetime doodlers, too!
There are benefits of being a doodler...according to HuffPost who say, "If you spend half an hour doing something creative, when someone gives you a problem you will think about it in fresh ways."  Doodling as conscious absentmindedness acts as a distraction and allows for "subconscious incubation of a solution".  Hmmmm, now I'm looking back on my Doodle Art examples and realizing I must have always wanted a Mickey Mouse watch and was ahead of the times with 'Arty' nail polish.
 
Doodling has certainly gained the attention of a number of scientific and mental health studies with topics like etymology and memory.  It seems doodling has been an absentminded practice among some of the worlds notable people...like...the poet/physician Keats, literary genius Beckett and US President Reagan.  Of all the notables I would like to associate my absentmindedness with is Leonardo da Vinci.  Really, his notebook margin doodles give new meaning to Absentminded Scribbling.
I guess it was a natural transition from the two dimensional doodling to three dimensional doodling with needle, thread, fabric, buttons, beads, and whatever else I could find to allow for 'subconscious incubation'.  Just look at what it hatched!  

1 comment:

  1. I'm a doodler - nothing quite as extensive as you. I'm big on crosshatching stuff. I agree in regards to Leonardo - I read the recent bio on him by Walter Isaacson and he has great illustrations of the notebooks. Locally - at Amon Carter Museum - notebooks of Charles Russell, et al have some amazing Western art doodles. Fun post

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.