9/2/15

September Is National Sewing Month

I can't think of a better way to begin September than to join in the celebration of National Sewing Month.  It was first celebrated in 1982 after President Ronald Reagan declared Spetember as National Sewing Month "In recognition of the importance of home sewing to our Nation."

Included in the realm of 'Sewing' are needlepoint, embroidery, cross stich, garment sewing, and my personal favorite quilting, to name a few.  Each of these categories have made important contributions to the home sewing industry, the industrial and manufacturing industries, and are significant in history world wide.

Here's an interesting and prophetic statement made by Thomas Jefferson to his daughter. 
"In the country life of America there are moments when a woman can have recourse to nothing but her needle for employment.  When one is in dull company and it is poor taste to read, or simply leave, the needle is a valuable resource".
 
Good advice and still viable today whether one is a country girl or a city girl. 
I'll add to that and say, "With needle, thread, fabric, or yarn in hand, one need never be bored".
 
A Sewing Basket or two or three are a must!  Don't you agree?
Happy National Sewing Month!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Sewing Month to you. Glad you will celebrate in fine fashion with lots of projects. My take on the quote is with thread, needles, etc I can make a fine mess..........and then go read a book. However, I look forward to your September festivities and posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue, I love your sewing baskets! Interesting, I did not know that Reagan did that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue - I've been watching from the sidelines (i'll be back soon) ... these are amazing - just wish I was crafty with or without a needle ... love the frame photos you use ...

    Cheers and enjoy the September sewing ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy sewing! Have a great September, sewing Sue!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.