1/28/13

Blue In Grandmother's Flower Garden

 Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern was popular in the late 19th Century, and hit it's peak of popularity about 1925.  This block was popular during the Depression when quilt making was almost a necessity, as women were forced to return to frugal homemaking once again.

The hexagon provided a way to use small fabric scraps, and was cheerful reminder of colorful flower gardens, a much needed lift during hard times.  The number of hexagons in the finished quilt and their size were a matter of pride for the quilter.
This pattern has a long history, dating back to the Colonial Period where it was known as Mosaic, Honeycomb, or French Bouquet.  Godey's Ladies book, founded in 1830, published the pattern in 1835.  It is thought to be the first pieced quilt pattern published in America.  Reference: Quilt Discovery Experience
As a collector of Vintage Quilts, I have to say that the 1930's Fabrics and Patterns are my Favorites. Over the years I have restored, remade, repurposed, and quilted many Vintage Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt tops. This Flower Garden was a rescue top that had several holes and torn places right in the middle of what was made to fit a full size bed. I repaired what I could and then cut the top into FOUR smaller pieces. Added new 1930's reproduction fabric borders and backing then machine quilted them.  Although, not an easy pattern to machine piece, it can be done.  Traditionally it is pieced by hand.  Today there are several techniques that make the hand piecing, cutting and marking a bit easier and quicker.  English Paper Piecing, Plexi-Hexagon Templates, and my often used method...Stamps by Kate...which I discovered at the Houston Quilt Festival one year.
Linked To: 
she can quilt  Smiling Sally

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I don't think I have the patience for this one. I am working on a Cathedral Window and it is a challenge! I think you'll love my post at Blue Monday today. Come by and see me and some really amazing _________. I am not gonna tell you. Come by and be surprised! Have a good day.
    Your Blue Monday and Texas neighbor.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is indeed a cheerful pattern and cheerful quilt. I enjoyed reading the history too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great rescue job. I have a GFG started, but always said it will be a life time quilt! Love making the hexies while on road trips, waiting at dance studios or soccer fields.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're saving old quilts. You have a lot of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading your comment on my blog.

    Happy 1st Blue Monday, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a great resource for me to learn more about quilts, esp the patterns of the ones I have made by my ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job at saving those quilt treasures. Our family has a flower garden quilt made by great grandmother. I think my sister has it. I have two quilt tops made by the same grandmother. They were never quilted. Maybe someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of work! Beautiful colors and quilters have my admiration:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just loved seeing the pictures of the vintage quilts and learning about "restoration". Very interesting and very creative. You've certainly given me some ideas! Thanks for sharing. dix---

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much love was put into those old beauties. Great post, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sue, Restoring a vintage quilt is awesome. So much beauty should be preserved. I love the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern as well. It takes talent and you are the gal to accomplish the challenge.

    I think the quilt you shared is beautiful.

    Happy Blue Monday

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely quilt. Catching up with Blue Monday.

    My BLUE, come and see.

    Your comment is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah....memories from the 1970s! Ah...youth! I love this hand crafting too! SO many talents here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.