9/18/09

BigHair & LittleHeads...PinkSaturday#2


I'm very glad you are here for my 2nd PinkSaturday.

I'd like to continue a bit about last weeks story...just a little bit about the graduation part.
I'll try and keep it short so you won't get to antsy to see the Special PinkThing that is coming.

Did you notice today's banner?
Scroll back up and look over some of the Graduation Cards I received in 1965.

Last week I showed you the special gifts I received from my parents and my Grandmother Minnie,
and I kind of thought you might like to see some of the beautiful cards they made in 1965.
Different from todays, aren't they?

A very special card is the one from my Mother and Daddy.
Isn't it wonderful to know that other's wishes for you do come true?

Okay...Pink Time

My Head Vase Collection began

'en el cuatro de bano'
or
'dans le salle de bains'.

That's Spanish then French, which both sound much better than the English

'in the toilet'.

I know, that's a terrible thing to say about some of the most highly collectable and hard to find items in the Antique and Collecting world...but it's a True Story.


The Pink Vase belonged to my Grandmother Minnie and is a McCoy.
The BigEyed Girl was a gift my Husband found in an antique shop in McKinney.
He was really proud to find her for the bargin price of $20 until I showed him the original price tag from Woolsworth of 39 cents.
Today she's worth about $35... so, he's okay with the price he paid.

Pink Lady with the Feather in her hat was made by Inarco in 196l, has the original foil label, is 5 3/4 inches and is listed in
David Barron's Head Vases Identification and Value Guide published in 2004.
Her value is at $135, and she is one of the few I have bought on eBay.

The rest of my collection...about 25...I found in the toilet!
Really!!! Well,Okay...one of them was...


Once upon a time this GRIT was assigned to clean the bathroom of a 'Christmas Shop' to be by her fellow shopkeepers to be.
GirlsRaisedInTexas do not balk at bad bathrooms, they just roll up sleeves, don pink rubber gloves, cover their nose with a pink bandana, grab the Comet and stuff and go to it.
While cleaning around 'el cuarto de bana...I'm better at Spanish...this lovely lady was discovered.
Now this little shop, with it's little bitty potty room, was once 'JoLynn's Beauty Shop' in back of 'JoLynn's Dress Shop.
It opened in the early 1950's...I know this because my first store-bought formal was purchased there in 1961...Oh! you should have seen that dress.
If this were 'Red Saturday', I'd show it to you, but I'd better start winding up this 'Pink Saturday Saga' before I loose you.

Anyway, JoLynn's Beauty Parlor closed shop sometime in the late 1960's...JoLynn sold out and the new owner didn't 'Do Hair, Honey'.
So, twenty years later, I find and claim this
'VaseThingy' as my Bathroom Booty.
Even years later, I discover the Art of Collecting Head Vases.
I know you're thinking...It's like finding a painted over picasso.
Well, almost, she's listed in the Head Vase Book for $400.
Yep, I'd say that was pretty good "PottyBooty' and we kinda look alike with our
Big 1960's HairDo, Honey!

PS...I know I'm leaving you with some questions about Head Vases. Like what was she doing behind the toliet in a Beauty Shop? How much was that 'Awesome Red Formal' in 1961? And, why is this GRIT in Texas better at Spanish than French? That one I can answer right now...when you have time...Just Ask Any Texan. The others I'll be posting about next week. So, ya'll come back!

PPS...In keeping with Beverly's 'Visit and give a ShoutOut' to a new blog...to me...I'm presenting The Old Parsonage...last week she showed Her HeadVases.
Speaking of last week...It was hard to pick just one to recommend from all the wonderful visitors I had.
So, I Listed and Linked...until my LinkerBroke...alot of you from my First Pink Saturday.
Again, Thanks for Coming and Commenting!

33 comments:

  1. I recently bought a head vase to remind me of my Grandmother. She had shelves in her bathroom that had head vases on them. I always remembered that and decided I needed one for the memory. I searched until I found one that was for sure on her shelf. Yours are lovely, thanks for the memories. Have a great weekend.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Pink Saturday, Sue.

    Girl, I love your head vases - and the stories that go with them. I am always tempted by these when I see them, but I have resisted. Lord knows my house doesn't need one other thing inside it.

    I'm glad you found Leann. She is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vase that your hubby gifted you with is my favorite...such a sweet little face!
    I, for one, would love to see your red dress. Isn't red just a darker shade of pink?!
    Hugs, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection of head vases! Love the toilet story!! :) Who woulda thunk you'd find such a treasure there?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love your head vases! That little one with the pearls is just adorable and I love that one with the hair like yours! Have a wonderful weekend! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your head vases. And what a great "bathroom story"!

    happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THose vases are really lovely. Very special collection
    Happy pink Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9/19/2009

    Very nice head vases. I see them off and on at flea markets but never in as nice shape as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The head vases are gorgeous! The story about the bathroom find and its value is fabulous. I missed your post last week because I took a week off - glad to know you and Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, didn't Dippity Do work better than anything we have today?

    Love your vases and your knowledge of them.

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, what a fabulous Pink Saturday post! I am crazy about the fact you still have your cards from graduation and equally crazy about head vases! The story of the one behind the toilet is priceless!!! Thank you so much for sharing and have a beautiful pink day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post filled with memories to accompany your lovely head vases. I love learning new things and will keep your tale in mind the next time I come across a dirty bathroom ;--)
    Thanks for your visit to Happily Retired Gal! I'm delighted that you enjoy my mosaics. I've not invested in PSE7 but I've used it in class. There are a couple of new tools I really like ... but not enough to spend the money just yet.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ADORE your head vases! Hope you'll show your whole collection! I have a sister who graduated from high school about the time you did and her "hairdo" in her graduation photo is almost identical to yours. I loved your photo...no doubt hubby had to compete with a slew of Texas boys to win the prize and gallop away with you!

    Darling post!
    xo
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. ♥´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ HAPPY PINK SATURDAY ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. The heads are just so beautiful. I love the one with the ponytail, she is gorgeous. The toilet story was too fun for words. Ya just never know do you. Happy Pink Saturday to you and yours, Char

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your story and oh those vases are so perfect. Happy pink day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Sue

    Wow now that's some story!! I love your "girls." And thanks for making me your link, I really appreciate it! That's one thing that I forgot to do this week. I'm off to edit my post.

    Enjoy your week!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Pink Saturday, thanks for stopping by my bathroom today! lol
    Love your ladies, and the vintage cards on your header.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bano collection is muy bonita!! I love head vases but have only ever found one while out hunting for treasures. They're always out of my budget.
    Have a wonderful pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH your pink Saturday post is wonderful. I love your banner, that is incredible that you kept your graduation cards. You are such a beautiful women, I love your hair, I go threw 2 bottles of hairspray a week, did you used to use that much to? I love the card from your mom and dad how wonderful, and a fun memory to go down with a pink Saturday post. Thank you for stopping by this morning. Have a beautiful day sweety.

    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun collection!!!
    I have one!!!! But it's pink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great post for Pink Saturday. I really appreciate the work to put it together for us. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. When the blossoms of summer begin to fade we can always count on Pink Saturday to bring a smile to our faces and to remind us that somewhere there are pastels and pretty things.

    Thanks so much for sharing this week. I wish you sunshine and lollipops today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just love the hair in this post, on the vases and in the photos! I love that big ole hair, but am far too lazy to ever attempt it. Happy PS!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9/19/2009

    Hi Sue!
    haha! that's a great potty story!
    thanks for all the insight about quilts. I think I will be adding a border... not a pieced one, it'll be the same floral as the backing. you are one truely amazing gal!

    Happy Pink Saturday!
    hugs,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the head vases!
    What a wonderful post. Put a smile on my face :)And you even have a pink Saturday banner. Great job girlfriend!
    Have a wonderful weekend, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job on your second Pink Saturday post! Ta ta for now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous9/19/2009

    I recognized those cards before I saw the date and the hairdos because I am a girl of the 60's...a good girl if you will. (grin) You are so lucky to have all those head vases. They are fabulous! Great, great story!! HPS

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for visiting my 1st pink Saturday post!! I know you have had a very HOT summer and ours has been exceptionally cool. I love the hot weather so this one was quite disappointing. Needless to say, I'm in the process of trying to find a job in a much warmer climate and closer to my daughter in North Carolina.

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pink McCoy vase! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I have a collection of vintage vases and planters. I love them!!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ok, so I just had to post again...I searched and searched and searched for the a site I stumbled across with the vintage necklace and earrings. I gave up on Monday of the past week. So...I'm looking for your following space and low and behold there they are!! I'm so excited. I'll be visiting your Etsy shop soon!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your post today was wonderful and those head vases are all so pretty. Have a good weekend.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gotta love those head vases . . . and the big hair! LOL!! An old girlfriend of mine used to collect head vases. I can't believe how much she paid for some of them, but we all have to have 'our thing'!

    Thanks for sharing and Happy Pink Saturday!

    Blessings,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, Sue,
    Loved your stories about your collection of head vases! I always say I am a typical Texas girl: I love big hair, big earrings and bright red lipstick! I also enjoyed seeing your vintage greeting cards. I love all vintage images. Happy Pink Saturday and thanks for dropping by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.