4/22/16

AtoZ Letter S...Sunbonnet Sue


Sunbonnet Sue is one of the most recognized Quilt Patterns of all times. So, you would be right in thinking that this quilter named Sue would be a Collector of all things Sunbonnet Sue. 
 
I have Sunbonnet Sue plates, patterns, books, fabric, needlepoint, embroidery, and on and on.  I could probably post into next year and still not cover all of the Sue's in my collection. 
 
Sunbonnet Sue has been around since the early 1900's and has maintained her popularity among Sewists and Quilters right up until....well....right now.  She has been around the blocks, so to speak, with quilters since the 1930's when her bonnets and dresses were made from feedsack fabrics and appliqued to a muslin background. 
 
The Buttonhole Stitch was made popular at the same time when Sue's feedsack dress and bonnet was outlined in black embroidery floss.
Over the years, I've rescued a number of Sue's.  The one I'm sharing today is my favorite 'Sue Rescue'.

She was a Filthy Rotten Quilt!
Found in the TRASH...can you believe anyone would THROW away a Sunbonnet Sue Quilt or any quilt for that matter.  So it was Sue to the Rescue!!!  The fabrics were 1930's Feedsacks with the Sue's appliqued on muslin that was very fragile.  The sashing and alternate blocks were rotten beyond saving.  So, I cut out the Sue's as close to their bonnets and dresses as possible and alternated them with the 1930's Reproduction Fabric Heart Blocks. 

The ReDoRescue Sue hangs in my Quilt Bedroom. The buttons that decorate each Sue's Bonnet and the Heart Blocks are from my 1930's Button Collection.  A perfect way to display them...don't you think? 
Here are a few Links for you to 'Review Sue' :
The Home of Sunbonnet Sue on The Web
Author of
The Sunbonnet Babies Primer
The Overall Boys

9 comments:

  1. Your fabrics and buttons were made for Sunbonnet Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too. I had no problem matching up the buttons with the bonnets.

      Delete
  2. That is wonderful! I love the idea of quilt rescuing. That is great!

    I remember Sunbonnet Sue. I remember that my mother-in-law made a Sunbonnet Sue quilt years ago. I don't know whatever happened to it. David says his mom had several Sunbonnet Sue things.

    I enjoyed your post. Have a blessed evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years I have heard lots of good memory stories from folks who have a Sunbonnet Sue Quilt in their life. Maybe the one your MIL made will turn up one of these days. I hope so!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I hope so, too. I might just have to make one myself some day. :)

      Have a blessed night!

      Delete
  3. Good job on the rescue! My mother made a Sunbonnet Sue and whatever the boy name was quilt for my son before he was born.

    Finding Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His name was 'Overall Bill'. They were kind of a couple back in the day!

      Delete
  4. Even I know the Sunbonnet Sue pattern - very cute and you've got it covered, that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. She reminds me of Holly Hobby - the closest we got to Sunbonnet Sue in Australia :) Leanne @ cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.