11/11/12

Introducing...Sue's Sewin' Story Page

Mothers teach daughters to sew, and daughters teach their daughters, and so the Art of Sewing is passed from generation to generation. My Mother learned to sew on my Grandmother Minnie's treadle sewing machine in the 1930's when a woman's sewing basket, mending and sewing clothes was a part of everyday life.  Girls were first taught to stitch with needle and thread making doll clothes then perhaps an apron and as smaller stitches were taken and sewing skills were learned...the sewing machine was the next step.

I'm not so sure my Mama was all that interested in sewing as a young girl.  She was the youngest of five with one older sister and three older brothers, and was raised on an Iowa farm.  She was a Tomboy!  However, by the time she was in her teens, she was sewing. 

By the time she married in 1946, she was an accomplished enough seamstress to treadle out kitchen curtains and aprons.  Then it happened...she became the Mother of a baby girl.  Sewing took on a new perspective...Rounds of Ruffles, Piqued Pinafores, Peter Pan collars, Lace and RickRack...how fun...and challenging!  Little did she know that history has a way of repeating itself....I was a Tomboy, too!
 
I was fascinated with 'Sewing'....well, maybe not so much with the outcome of clothes, but with the process, the tools and the fabric. I would sit beside Mama and watch as the needle went up and down and the fabric flowed through the feed dogs...what a weird thing to call such a magical mechanism...with precise stitches that held two pieces of material together.

I was bored with the needle and thread...wanted neater stitches and faster feed dogs!  The fear of stitching my finger kept Mama from letting me sew on her  'Electrified Singer', so as soon as my legs were long enough to reach the treadle, I was off to the 'FeedDog Races'.

I was hooked!  Sewing was my life...well, at least it played a big part in my advancement from doll clothes to dresses for myself and my sisters.  My poor Mama, who also loved to sew, seldom could get a stitch in edgewise.  I hogged her Electrified Singer for all those years until my 18th Birthday.
They only thing that has changed over the years of being 'Hooked on Sewing' has been
The Sewing Spaces and The Sewing Machines.
I Still LOVE Sewing!!
Oh, Okay....I don't have a 'Big Hair Flip' anymore, and
I need my 'Specs' to see the
'Fastest Fabric Feeding FeedDogs'
ever made...GoSewDogs!
Click on Pic for Sue's Sewin Story Page with Posts about
My SewNSewin!
Coming Soon....'More on 'The Kenmore'

6 comments:

  1. Look at you go! Cute picture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to sew in HS, my Mom was not a seamstress! But later in life she picked it up and did great. Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely story Sue,I think most of us sewing addicts can relate to similar experiences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are lucky that your mother taught you to sew. My mother never liked sewing. I'm mostly self taught (that's why I don't sew clothes).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need craft/sewing/knitting mentors and glad your mom was yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hair was flipped like that in high school too! This brought back some great memories of watching my mother sew and being fascinated with the start of cutting up fabric and then the finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.