11/17/12

Featherweight Sewing for FridayNiteSewIn

Isn't she a Beauty? I have to say of all my Sewing Machines...the count is in double digits...this 1950 Century Edition Featherweight is my favorite and pride and joy.

Many quilts have been pieced on her, but in the last few years she has been set aside for more expedient and HiTech Sewing/Piecing/Quilting.

Last night, as I was getting ready for Friday Night SewIn,  I decided to pull the OldGal outta her case and give her a go on piecing a baby quilt top.  Afterall, there's no hurry on this one...it's for a baby way on down the road.  That means for a future great grandbaby.

Even though it's been awhile...like a few years...since the OldGal has been sewn on, I know that she will always sew perfect and SING the most beautiful sound any sewing machine can make...she IS a SINGER, ya know.
There are a few issues with piecing on the Old Gal.  One is the 'Quarter Inch Foot'.  I took care of that years ago when I ordered the foot you see in the pic above.   It is specially made for the Featherweight and back in the day this plastic model was all that was available.  Today, a metal one with a metal guide is available....I may have to upgrade...HERE is the link.  The other issue is needle threading.  It threads from the right SIDE.  Boy, is that hard to see.  I use a needle threader...works like a charm.  
Now on to my project for Friday Night SewIn.
Just look at those stitches...what did I tell ya...the OldGals still got it...perfect stitches!
The pattern for this Baby QltTop is one I've made many times, is strip pieced, quick and easy.
It's from
Even More Quilts for Baby by Ursula Reikes
click HERE for a copy on Amazon

I found these fabrics at work the other day while straightening up a 'Sale Table'.
  I couldn't help myself...and I can justify getting all that was on the bolts because my
 Baby Fabric Stash is nearly depleted.
 Besides, I may need to make TWO or even THREE...future GreatGrands might be
TWINS or even TRIPLETS! How great would that be!!!
There ya go...all done...at least one of them! 
It's InLine for QuiltALottie...my Gammill LongArm Quilting Machine!
There's NO HURRY....Great Grands are several years down the road!

16 comments:

  1. Lovely stitching, the singer still has it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I would love to have a featherweight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that quilt top. The design is simple but eyecatching. I agree with you about the Featherweight. I really enjoy sewing with mine. It's so quiet and makes such nice stitches. I just aim the thread at the general vicinity of the needle hole and usually hit it after two or three tries. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely quilt top. Striking but simple to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11/18/2012

    The Singer stitches perfectly! Why is it that all the newfangled machines constantly have tension issues? lol I've been looking for a Featherweight for some time, but haven't found one that 'speaks to me' yet. :(

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Singer Featherweight that I bought several years ago. I have sewn on it one time! I really should bring it out and let it sing!!

    Baby quilts are fun to make. Yours is pretty.

    I love the name of your longarm. That's too cute!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love my Featherweight. She lives in Maine for the winter but if I find one in Florida, I may get one for here. I am not making quilts right now because I am knitting! But I shall get back to it soon I am sure.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great machines! I have add this to my wish list! Thank your for stopping by and for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really good lookin' Old Gal! I can't tell you the make that I sewed all my clothes on in the 60's, but it was my grandmother's machine and it never missed a beat.

    Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful machine! I just love it. Brings back many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so glad to see your post on Featherweights, and all the responses from folks who also own them. I love mine, too.
    Your baby quilt is precious, and you are right....have them ready long before you'll need them! I'd rather be cuddling a new grandbaby than stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also love my Featherweight. Haven't used it for awhile since I got my new embroidery machine. My granddaughter did sew on it last summer. It's a great machine for a young person learning to sew.
    Love your post and the new quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh I'd keep her out just to look at her - she's gorgeous! Love that you are thinking of great grandbabies to come. I'm looking forward to grandbabies in a few years after the weddings next year. One of the brides to be's Mother is triplet and I keep teasing:)

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, just found your blogg through threading my way! I've enjoyed looking in and am now following.
    Wonderful reading about the featherweight. I do have such a beauty at home.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi again, I forgot to tell you that I did order the Featherweight 221 book from Amazon and receiced it while I was home in England.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a Singer that looks a lot like yours. I bought it at auction a number of years ago for $2.50 and it sews like a dream. Someone suggested it was a Featherweight but I was certain it couldn't be because it's so heavy. Then I thought about how heavy my regular Singer is an decided it may be a Featherweight after all. Your quilt is lovely.
    Nancy from joy for grace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.