10/29/15

Feather Power Mandala...A Force Within

In Native American culture, feathers represent the power of the thunder gods, and symbolically deal with ascension and spiritual evolution to a higher plane.  Another symbol meaning of feathers revolves around prayer and the use of feather sticks in ritual rain dances.

I have always had a fascination for feathers.  I might go so far as to call it a Feather Fetish.  For many years, I was under the impression that somewhere in my Family Tree there was a Native American branch...or at least a twig.  My imagination ran wild when I learned that my 2X Great Grandmother's maiden name was Leatherwood.   The Feather Fascination flourished in many aspects of my life....in my Art, in my closet, jewelry, home d├ęcor and more.   So, it came as somewhat of a surprise and a disappointment when my Genealogy Research led to the post...Leatherwood-Pittman Myths Debunked.  Nevertheless, feathers and their symbolism still fascinate and resonate with me. 

I didn't purposefully create feather images or think about their symbolism as I crocheted this Mandala.  As I added the finishing touches and thought about what to use to highlight the center, I instinctively reached for the feather pot.  I have come to realize that the relationship between Spirituality and Artistic Expression is a powerful shaping force in life.  Here are a couple of feather thoughts...
Let me be as a feather.
Strong with purpose yet light at heart.
Able to bend.
And, though I might become frayed,
Able to pull myself
Together again.
 
One day, you're a Peacock.
The next day you're a
Feather Duster.

4 comments:

  1. From peacock to feather duster -- ha ha. That's how it goes sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the feather spirit - light touch. Very nice. Happy Friday and (Halloween weekend)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, did you do a feather rain dance? Is that why all the rain hit Texas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it! Guess I over did it ....again!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails