7/30/14

1940's Bow Broach Repair & Repurpose

Bows in Fashion and Jewelry have been around for ages.  In the 1940's bows were at the forefront in jewelry design often in the form of broaches.  Today, bow broaches are making a comeback as 'Repurposed/Assemblage Jewelry'. 
 
'Antique Rose Bow' is my latest repurposed bow broach.  She needed a bit of TLC with replacement of a couple of garnet rhinestones and plating repair on the base metal bow.  Here's a HowToTip on making that repair: 
~ Clean with Dawn using a soft bristle toothbrush. 
~ Lightly buff with 'Fine Steel Wool'.
~  Use a Metallic Paint Pen to cover the entire front surface of the bow.  I used Elmer's brand...example HERE.  The shiny plated finish becomes a bit more antique gold and opaque, but still has a shine.  Some plated pieces are left with chippy look to give aged look.  To me, this piece seemed too elegant to leave chippy. 
 
Not bad for a Bow Broach found in a Bag of Broken/Battered/Broaches!
Now to Find a Buyer.
BTW...It's January's Birthstone.
Hmmm...I may have to keep it!

4 comments:

  1. I love what you did with this! So pretty! Makes me think of my grandmother, and her crochet doilies.(celiaambrose@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using a broach for a pendant or centerpiece for the necklace. This is one I'd wear for evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lot of work and it looks gorgeous. Rich color

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.