6/19/16

Should I Stay or Should I Go

I just read a couple of articles on how to store a Yarn Stash.  Of course it is after the fact...being I have already re-organized and stored mine.  I don't know why it didn't occur to me to research and get tips before I spent several hours in my storage studio...fancy name for garage.  In reality, it is my former Sewing/Quilting/Yarning Studio and perfect as a safe storage space. 

One article suggested to store yarn as you bought it.  In other words if it is a shank leave it shanked...don't use your ball winder to un-shank it until you are ready to make that sweater.  Score one for me...6 shanks intended for a knitted sweater...still shanked for six years after purchase.

 If your yarn is in a wrapped pull skein like Vanna's yarn is sold...for sure leave it for ease of pulling from the center.  Of course that is after you have dug through the center for the LOOSE end to begin and finally have to pull out a baseball size wadded tangle in order to begin.  Score another for me...most of my yarn is pull skein with left overs wound on Ball Winder, re-wrapped in original wrapper and stored with like yarn.

Now comes the storage container question.  Should I stay or should I go?  STAY with baskets, plastic bags and plastic tubs...or...GO with eco-safe, breathable, easy access and economical containers.  I'll let you read This Article about storage containers and you can decide what works best for you. 
I decided to GO!
Shanked sweater yarn...still shanked, breathing, and waiting for Pigs to Fly!

5 comments:

  1. interesting way of storing yarn.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. When pigs fly down where you are I am sure they'll be flying up here in the Pacific Northwest too!.....you are so organised. My stash is in bags and baskets, under beds and in closets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can spin a yarn....but don't need tangible material. Your storage is colorful and cheery even if it is waiting for pigs to fly. Happy Monday, Sue. Stay cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those containers. A new life after their official laundry hamper use. LOL, I would need a lot of them. I guess I could be called a hoarder... Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure plastic bags and bins are a NO. Breathable mesh sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.