6/23/16

It Is Almost Over

Liquidation Shoppers Rapture and Remorse

This being my first time experiencing a 'Liquidation', I can tell you it is a rollercoaster of human reactions, emotions, questions, thoughtfulness, and ridiculousness.  What a test of maintaining a positive outlook, good customer service, keeping my mouth shut and eyeballs from rolling.
 
Some of the questions Liquidation Shoppers ask remind me of Art Linkletter's 'Kids Say The Darndest Things', except these are Adults.  Here we go....
 
~When will you get in a shipment of seam rippers and sewing machine needles?  There aren't any more on the Notions Wall!
~Phone Call:  Could you tell me if you have anymore of the fleece print I bought 3 weeks ago?  It was blue with hearts and flowers.  I bought all on the bolt and need another half yard!
~Why are you closing?  Don't people sew anymore? 
~What are we going to do for a fabric store?
~Is this store re-opening at a different location?
~What?  You don't take checks?  You should have that posted.  There it was...Big as Dallas on the counter where she whipped out her checkbook.  Not to mention Bigger than Dallas signs all over the store.
 
After answering these questions....without screwing up my face with the 'Really?' look...I bag their purchases...no seam ripper...and say, "Thank-you, have a nice day".  I no longer say, Thank-you, come back and see us!  Last time I did, I got...Oh, are ya'll opening in a new location?
 
The absolutely most amazing and for a better word...'Ying Yang' reaction...is the Liquidation Shopper's expressions at checkout when they swipe their credit card...no checks...
 
"OMG, I am so excited and ecstatic at getting all this for nearly nothing....and in the next breath....I am sooooo sad to see you close.  What ever will I do for a fabric store?"
 
I'd like to say, Getting all that for nearly nothing is exactly why there won't be anymore shopping here.  All the years of Coupons, Bonus Bucks, Door Busters, Half-Off and every Holiday or Whatever Sale imaginable gave shoppers such a 'Bang for their Buck that the company's Profit Bucks went Bust.  Of course, there are other reasons like competition, e-shopping, and inventory that has nothing to do with being a Fabric Store. 
 
So, yes, it is a 'Sign of the Times'...to use a timeless cliché...and sad for those of us who love to 'Feel and See' our fabric before buying. 

Who enjoy spending hours thumbing through a Simplicity Pattern Book, and have the sense of accomplishment in 'Making' something useful for ourselves, family and friends. 
 
On the bright side of all this, those of us who are Fabric-a-holic-Sewist...not hoarders...can look forward to months if not years, of  Feeling-Seeing-Petting-Organizing and Sewing with the fabrics, notions, buttons, patterns and more from our Liquidation Shopping.
Oh, what Rapture and Remorse!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry. I don't like shopping online. I did stop at the quilt store down the street from my friends, in Oklahoma, this afternoon. I always try to keep the local shops in business, when I can. Hope you have something lined up after Hancocks closes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad for you. I hope this all works out for the best. And neither of us are hoarders, are we? Of course not. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do feel bad for you. Sorry, I am not a seamstress and thus did not help keep Hancock in business. But I hate to see a long time business disappear. Take care. I'm sure this is a tough time (not to mention farewell to a paycheck - bummer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's bound to be hard to see it closing. Big hug for ((((Sue))))! The comments sound like something from a Bill Engvall stand-up routine "Here's your sign."

    Barbara from Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.