12/30/14

2014 Visual and Creative Writing Favorites


I took a look at my STATS with all the numbers for Posts, Pageviews, Traffic Sources, Audiences and whatever else Blogger keeps track of.  I could not make 'hide nor hair' of it and 'nor do I care' all that much, but it is the end of the year and traditionally some sort of a review is in order.  If nothing else, I am mostly a 'Traditionalist' with a focus on the Visual and Creative Writing...eye roll-sheepish grin.  So, here are my...
Visual and Creative Writing Favorites for JANUARY through JUNE
(To View and Read the complete post...click on the linked Title.)
 
JANUARY ~ Beneath His Wing
I've written about both my Grandmother and Mother many times here on CollectInTexas Gal.  They have been the inspiration and focus for posts about Sewing, Aprons, Cooking, Hankies, Dishes, The 1940's and more. 
I've often blamed given credit to Mother for my being a 'Saver and Collector'.

FEBRUARY ~ Finding My Inner Broachable Self
Who knew that Brooches and Pins were holding together the 'Molecular Strands' of my DNA, and the undeniable draw to jumbles of old jewelry was in my genes.
 I should have guessed it long ago...for you see, as a little girl I was always drawn to the 'Special Things' box and it's contents of 'Four Fifty's Pins'.

MARCH ~ Coveting Thy Neighbors Broach
Whenever I run across a piece of Sarah Coventry jewelry, I think about the word 'covet' and how I do...and how I shouldn't, and how I can't help myself.  
......when I make repairs, it is with the idea that I will sell the piece at less than the price would be if it were in it's original condition, and make note that it has been repaired.  Not so on this piece.  My 'CovetItness' got the best of me and this piece was deemed priceless!

APRIL ~ The Three Yahoos...Who Knew We Stunk
Our Mother LOVED to read, and between work, cooking, cleaning, sewing and gathering eggs...we had chickens, she would make time to read.  That was when she would herd us outside, latch the screen door and say, "You three Yahoos go play."  For years I thought of myself and my siblings as 'Yahoos', and that our mother used it as a term of endearment.

Not so long ago, I was telling my sister about mother calling us a 'Bunch of Yahoos'.  Her response was, "That's terrible, I can't believe she would call us that.  You do know what Yahoos are, right? "

MAY~ RETRO...I Repurpose It Today and Lived It Back Then
I get a kick out of the 1950's being such a popular period for collectors and those who are 'Living/Decorating/Dressing The Retro Rage'. 
 
I grew up in the 50's and 60's and remember times like when my mother came home from the store saying, "If things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's worth of groceries for $20."
 
JUNE ~ Buttons Basic To Human Psyche
"The impulse to collect is a basic part of the human psyche."
I can not tell you how LIBERATING that statement is to my psyche.  To know that it is not an addiction, but a normal thing to scrounge through ragbags, to rifle through thrift store clothes racks with snippers and be tempted to snatch and run when spying collectible buttons on strangers shirts.  I have no problem with people I know...I just snip and say..."You will just love the necklace and earrings I'll make from these buttons."

JULY through DECEMBER
Continued Tomorrow...Last Day of 2014 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sue! Do you really snip buttons? That's so funny! I wish I had my granny's button box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I do...but off my own clothes or I buy thrift shop clothes just for the buttons. Prize ones are the ones from my grandmother and mothers button boxes. I wish you had your granny's box, too.

      Delete
  2. It's fun to look back and see what posts drew the crowd of applauding fans. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am happy to draw just a few fans and a crowd would probably give me the vapors. I'm so happy you have been part of my fan base in 2014. I am a BIG Fan of yours, and look forward to the coming year.

      Delete
  3. Great first half of 2014. We'll see what happened the second half. I love year end reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joanne...I appreciate that coming from one whose REVIEWS are top notch. I've enjoyed putting 2014's favorites together...it's a feeling of accomplishment for the whole year!

      Delete
  4. This was fun to read! Sorry to hear you have a problem with coveting your neighbor's jewelry. LOL I remember my mom hosting a Sarah Coventry party once. I have a cool 'choker' from that time. I rarely wear it, although I like it, because I don't like things around my neck. Hope you have a wonderful week and that you find all the Sarah Coventry jewelry your heart desires at a thrift store, all in a large box marked '$1.00 entire box.' Now wouldn't that be fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be FUN, but then I would have to deal with (1) fix it to sell or (2) a relapse of 'CoveItness'.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sue - these are great to read .. and see where your collecting genes come from ... brooches and pins as molecular strands of your DNA - they are beautiful and I love that brooch of many colours! Happy New Year and lots of clever ideas for 2015 - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, I am hopeful there will be enough clever ideas to blog about DAILY. Not going to make that a set in stone resolution, but may give it a try. Thanks for your comments and friendship in 2014.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.