2/27/14

Finding My 'Inner Broochable Self'

Have you ever wondered why you are drawn to a particular item?  How it is that you can spot it when it is one in a display case of fifty or even a hundred?  Have you experienced the magic of sorting through an old jewelry box or estate sale jumble of jewelry and finding a piece that for some unknown reason speaks to you?

Until recently, I never much thought about WHY I was drawn to Brooches/Pins....I just accepted that I liked them, they were an affordable item to collect and the wearing of them full filled the 'UseIt or LoseIt' rule.  In the last six months or so I discovered my 'Inner Broochable Self' in my Mother's 1950's wooden, unhinged, scratched and nicked 'Special Things' box. 

Who knew that Brooches and Pins were holding together the 'Molecular Strands' of my DNA, and the undeniable draw to jumbles of old jewelry was in my genes.  I should have guessed it long ago...for you see, as a little girl I was always drawn to the 'Special Things' box and it's contents of 'Four Fifty's Pins'.  The 'Thelma Heart Pin' was a February Birthday Gift from her Sweetheart...my Dad.  I will share the others in a later 'Collecting Broaches' post.

The wearing of 'Brooches' dates back to the Bronze Age, and throughout history has been a chronological indicator of fashion.   Dating a vintage broach is all about the back...it's clasp, pin or hinge. 

In my 2xGreat Grandmother's Victorian era, T-bar pins/clasps were used with their longer pin extending past the body of the brooch which helped secure the pin on heavy Victorian fabrics.  The c-clasp and small hinge came into use in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

In my Mother's 1950's era, brooches were made for the modern woman with the more functional and secure 'Safety Clasp'.  Today, many brooches are multi-functional with a Pendant and Lock Latch that allows them to be worn as a necklace as well as a pin.

My latest find from a 'Jumble of Jewelry' display was made by Sarah Coventry.  It spoke to me on several levels...one, it was a 'Flower'...two, the baroque style pearl...three, the name Sarah.
It is good to know your 'Inner Broochable Self'.
 
Linking To:

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post today. I have the same Thelma pin as you. It belonged to my mother as that was her name. Very old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love brooches myself. I remember my mom and grandmother wearing them. How special that you have your moms pins. I also collect and wear them. Your latest is very pretty.

    Visiting from VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyable post! I find myself drawn to things, too—usually old books and random items that speak their histories to me. I like to imagine their stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. I always like to know the history of things and I will definitely have to go home and see what kind of clasps some of brooch collection has!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to fear 'sounding' just like my mother. Now I enjoy 'seeing my mom' in myself. Maybe it is a DNA thing, maybe it's just a comfort to think of and be reminded of Momma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how beautiful...the displays and photos of them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.