12/11/12

Christmas Chicken Scratch

The Christmas Chicken Scratch!
Ya'll do know what It is, don'tcha?

Here's your Three Choices
1  A Texas Barn Dance
2  A Skin Rash
3  A Cross Stitch Embroidery Pattern

If you picked  #3....Ya Got It!

The origin of Chicken Scratch is uncertain, but the craft does date back to early America. As the early settlers traveled across the land and seas to settle their new homes, the craft came with them.

It is known as Amish Embroidery, cross stitch on gingham, depression lace, gingham lace, gingham tracks, lace stitch and snowflake embroidery.

Chicken Scratch is an easy type of embroidery done on gingham (checkered) fabric, which gives the impression of appliqued lace.

With embroidery thread or floss, certain stitches create lace like designs. Gingham fabric comes in 4, 8 or 16 squares per square inch.
Three simple stitches are used in Chicken Scratch...
* Double Cross Stitch
*Straight Running Stitch
*Woven Circle Stitch
Now that you know about Chicken Scratch Embroidery, are you ready to...
* Buy a few yards of gingham
* Buy several colors of embroidery thread
* Buy a couple of Apron Patterns
* Sit N Sew
* Hoop N Stitch
If your answer is Yes, then HERE is where you can get FREE Chicken Scratch Patterns and Tips.
Linking To:

 
APRONS and ART SMOCKS

7 comments:

  1. I love chicken scratch! And this is a really pretty poinsettia design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful, Sue, but will have to wait until the quilts, throws, knitted and felted goods are finished. So much good and fun stuff to do...so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12/11/2012

    I always wondered what that 'style' of stitching on gingham was called. Very pretty project - well done!
    (Btw, I'm disappointed that Chicken Scratch isn't also some sort of skin rash. I want to say things like 'synthetics give me Chicken Scratch...' 'mohair gives me Chicken Scratch...') lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I've never tried it I am pleased to say I knew what it was:@) Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a while since I hears of "chicken scratch"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful embroidery!!! Many moons ago, I did some cross stitch on gingham, but nothing as effective as this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the talent you have! This is so sweet! I love that cute little apron! Sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.