11/22/14

Ye Olde Sock Yarn Saga Entitled...Living With 'SSS'

Once upon a time I wanted to knit socks.  A relatively simple thing to want to do for someone who could do the basic knit and purl stitches and a few more exotic stitches like YO, SSK, K2tog,P2sso, and URSo InOverURhead.

Sure enough, I was so in over my head with thinking Sock Knitting was for me.  First of all, I am a 'Once Is Enough' gal.  Yup, that is a real problem when it comes to making TWO things just alike.   I contracted SSS (Second Sock Syndrome), a dreaded knitters affliction that OIE people need intense therapy to be able to make Twosies!

 So, there I was with ALL the stuff Sock Knitters must have to knit socks.  Stuff like Double Pointed 'Nightmare' Needles the size of toothpicks...like one pointy end was not enough...then the YARNSSS.  About those, I'll just say this....holy teeney thin thread.   You would think it was spun by spiders with allergen infusions.  I knew it came from sheep and other wooly mammals, but I was somewhat surprised that Panda preferred produce was also a profitable and prolific pointy needle perfect for socks product...ie bamboo.  With that in mind I acquired ALL the Right Stuff to become a proficient sock knitter, took lessons, and tried every sock technique from 'ToeUp' to 'Cuff Down' to Mismatched Pair', but....

...I failed.   Simple as that!  SSS ran rampant through my veins.
 
Finally, I swapped off most of the 'Spider Spun' stuff with my Master Socker friend, and filed away the 'Nightmare Toothpicks' for future dinners of lamp chops...which, by the way, Texans do not eat.  HEB does not have them in their meat market as most Texas grown sheep are SSS'ed (Sheared Shipped Sold)  back East.

So, what does a Rehabbed SSS sufferer do with what little Sock Yarn she has left? 
 
She CROCHETS SSS's...Simple Soft Scarves. 

Thankfully, there is not enough thin thread in a skein to make TWO, and the pattern can easily be adapted to mix up crochet stitches so no TWO SSS's have to be just alike.
 Like this simple Arugula Scarf instructions: 
Ch 200 for the scarf.  If a different length is desired, simply chain to the length desired.
Foundation Row:  In the 4th chain from the hook, dc, then work one dc in each ch to the end of the row.
Row 1:  Turn, ch 3 and work 1 dc in the first stitch and in each stitch to the end of row.
Repeat this row two more times.  (Sue's Switch Stitch....on row 3 ch 4, turn and triple crochet to the end of the row.  Then on 'Ruffle Row' make the 3 double crochet stitches between the triples.  Makes for a lacy look). 
Ruffle Row:  Turn, ch 3 and work 3 dc into the first st.  Work 3 dc in each st across the entire row.
Finishing:  Weave in ends.  (Pictures and Pattern on Fiber Flux website...HERE)

I am well on my way to having SSS's for...
...Santa Stocking Stuffers!!!

6 comments:

  1. You're an expert knitter so I feel better now. I've never made a pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right...I am an expert knitter of mismatched socks, shawls that require only one stitch and projects that dropped stitches and caddy wompasness doesn't matter. LOL!!!

      Delete
  2. ssssssssssspectacular SSS finale. And you could Sip Sweet Sasparilla as you sew Santa Stocking Stuffers. Fun! (I seem to write that on all your posts)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know I have been SSSing while sewing and crocheting. You know me well...and that is fun, too! Love your SJC's...SoJoanneComments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good thing not everyone likes doing the same thing or we'd be overrun with socks but with nothing to keep our necks warm. Happy Thanksgiving, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the 'over run sock' theory. Thanks, I feel better...now I can 'OverDo' the wring around the neck warmers.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.