1/23/22

Charm Bracelet Memoirs


Having just had a milestone birthday, thoughts turned to my Mother and Grandmother.  I was there for their same milestone birthday, and although I don't recall the details, party or gatherings, I know a card was sent with a hanky inside.  That was a tradition the two of them began when they were states away from each other.  Mother kept every letter and hanky.  This I know as I have them today...tucked away in her Memoir Box.  

Their cards held sweet birthday wishes with lovely floral bouquets and painterly landscape vignettes.  On the inside their handwritten birthday wishes and news from home.  Mother's news about children and our growing too fast and school.  

They both wrote about the weather.  Mother received Iowa snow weather report in her February card and Grandmother enjoyed the Texas Spring weather news on her May birthday.

Grandmother's news had bits on Mother's siblings and their children.  Mother shared her letters and a favorite subject written about was Grandmother's church activities and the Ladies Bible Study.  Those words to this day bring back a 5 year old's childhood memory of going to church with my Grandmother.

Right after the Amen of the Offering Prayer and the Deacons preparing to pass the Offering Plate, Grandmother took the hanky she had tucked into the band of her watch and untied the corner where she had secured her tithe.  She handed me a few coins and together we dropped them in the silver velvet lined plate.  Our coins landed as softly as any of the small bills.  

So, now 70 years later, my treasured charm bracelet made from Grandmother's watch brings joy to my heart and such gratitude for having these two women in my life for their lifetime.

Charm Bracelet Memoirs
 Inspired by
  Alana at Ramblin' with AM


7 comments:

  1. Oh, how lovely, Sue! I do love hankies! Happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the Birthday Wish! They seem to come around faster than ever, although 2021 was a challenging year in so many ways. It's good to be back to blogging. As you know I'm a hanky lover, too. Got that from my Mom and Grandmother Minne.

      Delete
  2. What a heirloom you have in that charm bracelet. The memories, the family history! (And thank you for the shoutout.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bracelet is a family heirloom for sure. Fortunately, I had several of Grandmother's watches, so my Sister has a watch charm bracelet, too. Your welcome for the shout out...your post was inspiring. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Peggy. How nice to see you here. It's been a long time. I've been on a long blog break...most all of 2021. Good to be back. I'll stop by for a visit. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. That is so lovely. I have a hanky from a blog friend who said she felt I Just needed it. She passed away that September . I still miss CC with her SunBonnet Sue's.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.