1/15/16

Thank-you Bunches...Still Socially Correct

Did you know there are at least 112 ways to say Thank you?  The first basic 'Thank you', we learn to say right after Mama, Daddy and Baba or YaYa as my grandson called his bottle and anything edible.

Expressing your 'Thanks' falls into three categories...Basic Phrases, Written Formal and Very Polite Formal.

Thanks a lot!  Thank you so much!  You're so helpful.  I hear these basic phrases of Thanks throughout my day at work from young and old alike.  'Saying' thank-you is alive and well.
On to the second category...Written Formal.  Here is where 'Thank you' makes a transition from 'Old School Thank you Cards' to '21st Century Social Media' standards.  Which is considered acceptable?  From my point of view, it all goes back to how you were raised.  Writing Thank you Notes, according to my Mother and Ann Landers, was a character building trait that taught us to honor and appreciate others.

Putting pen to paper served to keep us from taking others for granted and was a discipline in expressing appreciation for the thoughtfulness of others.  Not to mention, becoming a more thoughtful person.  I remember receiving a box of 'Thank You' notes along with a graduation gift.  What a thoughtful and subtle reminder...including stamps and an address was a definite expectation of getting one of those boxed cards in the mail.  Thank you grandmother Minnie!

With all that 'Old School' thankful philosophy said, let's move on to today's 'Social Media/Email and WWW (WebWishesWay) of writing/expressing Thank you.  WOW...Google displayed many more than 112 ways of saying Thank you via the WWW. 
So, as a Googleist, a Social Media user
with a Personal Computer, a Tablet and a Cell Phone,
I LIKE IT!!!
Followed up with an 'Old School', Thank You Bunches CARD!

10 comments:

  1. I adore getting A thank you note in the mail!!! I am trying very much to keep doing this in 2016. Have a great weekend
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finding a Thank you note among all the junk mail and bills makes the trip to the mail box a pleasure. A good goal for 2016!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue .. I still write and still get thank you cards for all things ... it's good to engender politeness into the mix ... and I always acknowledge texts on the occasions I get them, and emails .. just so people know, I know what I'm doing re their query, request etc ...

    I'd love to write like Victorian writers ... long, long letters by hand - I have resorted to typing my 'round-robin' letters ... but my blog name comes from letters I received back in answer to those letters ... this was when my mother was ill and I was generally getting in touch with everyone, and keeping them up to date ... it helped me through the early days ...

    So thank you for writing this!!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to note that even in the digital/social media world there is a built in Thank-you note. It's called REPLY and LIKE. I LIKE that! I too, have always admired Victorian letter writing with the beautiful cursive curls, flourishes and poetic text. Don't you know they would need a case of smelling salts over today's texting and tweeting. LOL!!! BTW...your welcome!

      Delete
  3. Hi friend! Everyone loves to get MAIL, huh? I like thank you notes and even though mine are often late, I try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...it's the reason we have mail boxes all over the place...on the porch, PC, and phone. It may take me awhile, too, but I get em' done.

      Delete
  4. I was raised to write thank you notes and still do today. It's worth the stamp. Have a good weekend, and thanks for your post today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth the stamp both from the sending and receiving. You are welcome.

      Delete
  5. I love a 'thank you' in the mail, but, if that isn't going to happen (modern youth) PLEASE at least send a text, saying the item arrived. Getting my son's to send any kind of 'thank you' is like pulling teeth. I still try (even though they are grown now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann Landers said, "It's never too late to send a Thank you note." I'm sure she would have included Texts, Tweets, Reply and Like, so hang in there and keep trying. What goes around comes around and who knows one day 'modern youth' will discover pen and paper.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.