5/17/15

Cap...turing The Wordsmithy Good Times

As a self proclaimed 'cuma sorta kinda wordsmithy', I take a lot of creative licenses including a Wurst Speller license, a Please Yourself Punctuation license, and the coveted certificate of 'The Titleist'.

All of these licenses and others I make up as I need them, send Blogger's Auto Correct into a red zigzag stitch tizzy...which I mostly ignore...except when I'm serious about correct spelling, punctuation and proper word usage.  I can do that, you know.  I was tested for those on Facebook and ACED the 'Tricky Sentences' survey.

Perhaps the first thing I should give you is the definition of  'wordsmithy'...yep, it's a real word...at least 'wordsmith' is...the 'y' is mine...A skilled user of words.

 Did you have any doubt about it?  If you are interested in acquiring your own 'Wordsmithy' certificate you can print one out HERE

Just in case you think I'm kidding and are tempted to click outta here...first let me tell you about the Twits that are wurst spellers than me. 

The fact that they misspell on purpose, are among the worlds acclaimed wordsmiths, and are known throughout the www dotcom (whole wide world internet) does not excuse them from not knowing that this symbol...#...does not stand for Hashtag...which is not even a word in my 1965 Websters.

However, I can see how the Wordsmithy Tweeters came up with the 21st Century re-defined #number symbol.  It has to do with HASH...which is defined in my oldster Webster as...to chop into small pieces, confuse, muddle, to talk about.  If you aren't already, you can signup...hellsbells, you can create your own TwitTitle and hash right in there with the Worlds Wurst Spellers.  As for me...I'm gonna have to stay among 1965's confused and muddled hashers.

Okay, time to pull all this 'Wordsmithing' together with this Header and Quote. 
Life is like a camera...
Focus on what's important...Capture the good times...Develop from the negatives
and if things don't work out...
...Take another shot!
What a 'Good Time' I had Capturing and Wordsmithing this post!
 
PS...If ever I take my 'Wurst Speller' license and register it on Twitter,
 you can find me @#The Titleist.

15 comments:

  1. Ha! Every English teacher applauds wordsmiths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do, and their hard work in teaching proper English, correct Spelling and the love of words and reading give 'wordsmithies' like me the background to be creative with the written word.

      Delete
  2. very fun post. I am amused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good!!!! I was worried my last post on all that stretch stitchin' may have put you in a straight jacket.

      Delete
  3. I'm so tickled!!!! Great and fun post, needed the chuckle, you are very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tickled that you are tickled! Thanks for commenting...I needed to know that this post was good for a chuckle!

      Delete
  4. Some of the businesses I deal with like the cable company and newspaper don't let you talk to a human. Before getting to your business over the phone, you have to enter your phone number or house number followed by "the pound key"= #

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kinda scary when a RecordAbot ask for info you don't give out to every human Tom, Dick or Harriet. Then they want you to pound a key. Yep, I have to think twice about what key that is....it's still a number sign first and then I remember it can also represent a pound...which I don't get the connection. I'll probably never get it connected to HASH.

      Delete
  5. Always perfect scores in English, always know which word is correct (two, to, too). Spelling not so hot. I have to write a word by hand to spell it. Thank God spell check is auto in everything now. But when I write in my blog, I usually adopt a tone and style to most nearly capture it as if I were speaking out loud to you. And when I do that, I'm a S.E. Texas country girl through and through. And proud of it! I'm not turning my speech Yankie for nobody.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true...we are sure getting dependent on Spell Check and Auto Correct, but thankfully we have our OldSchool English and Grammar education. I love the way you 'BlogSpeak Outloud' and of course I understand every bit of your SE Texas Talk. We are Two of a Texas Tone!!!!

      Delete
  6. I studied linguistics a couple of years ago and the language of the internet fascinates me. I like to see how online groups take words from various languages and twist and adapt them to suit their purposes...

    Even if they don't quite use them in the way they're intended. ;-)

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twisting and adapting any language takes knowing that language in it's proper form whether spoken or written. It is truly amazing how the 'Technical Generations' have created the Internet/Techno vocabulary. I like to make the connections to how they are adapted...like Hash and Hashtag.

      Delete
  7. hahaha. I read "Wurst" and I think about liverwurst, though I have yet to taste it. But, I do like liver. I read "Hash" and I think, of course, about corned hash. Yummy stuff. Hmmm, methinks it's time for lunch.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Somehow FOOD has a way of speaking a language we all get.

      Delete
  8. I had to take that Facebook quiz, and I aced it. Surprised me a bit. I am no grammar geek. I rarely use "who" or "whom" in in my blogs because I just can't figure out when to use which (or is it "what"?). Spell check is usually my friend but I am well aware of its limitations. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.