6/9/14

Times Nine Proverbial Lazy Gal

A stitch in time saves nine.
I think of this old proverb when I drag out this needle point piece that I've worked on for at least NINE years.  The TIME part of the proverb I associate with how much time it has taken me to get this far, and how many more NINE billion stitches I have to go. 
Will I ever finish?  Yes!  I am almost there, but I reduced my TIME and SAVED myself some NINES.  Rather than a pillow, as the canvas was sized to be, it will soon be an insert for a wooden jewelry box. 
Won't it be a perfect place to keep these special earrings I've made from vintage blue buttons, antique silver beads and a needle workers charms?  I think so, too!

Now about the proverb and what it really means.  The 'stitch in time' is simply the sewing up of a small hole or tear in a piece of material, so saving the need for more stitching later when the hole has become larger.  The first users of this expression were referring to saving nine stitches.

The proverbial expression was meant as an incentive to the lazy.  Many English proverbs encourage immediate effort as superior to putting things off until later; example, 'one year's seeds, seven year's weeds', and 'the early bird catches the worm.'

Yikes, now I feel like a 'Times Nine Proverbial Lazy Gal'.
Linking To

12 comments:

  1. Hello Sue,

    What a beautiful piece of art!

    Isn’t it fun finding blues to share? Thanks for playing today.

    Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful needlepoint -- the pansies are lovely dressed in all their different colors! It will be a beauty on a jewelry box -- better to make it smaller and enjoy it now than to make it stay in the closet! (Maybe that could be a proverb too LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl - great effort and good idea to change the size!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6/09/2014

    I know how you feel about 9 billion stitches to go...I have projects from 1979 that I haven't finished yet!!
    Yours is very beautiful and definitely worth the time and effort. Great idea though to make it smaller and use it for jewelry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made needlepoint stockings for all my family, including grandchildren. When we were presented with twin grandchildren I began working on two stockings - promising to have them for the twins' second Christmas, as last Christmas they'd not have noticed anyway. Well, I may be blind by the time I finish - and dead of boredom! The stockings take FOREVER! Give me counted cross stitch or knitting any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely work and you are far from lazy. I'm impressed. I hate sewing of any sort. I did girls' math homework in school if they would do my home ec projects. But I admire folks with the patience and skill to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did needlepoint many moons ago. Love the way you made the adjustment so you could use it sooner. Very nice work as always.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have several pieces of needle point I did years ago. I loved doing it, but my eyes will not allow it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It'll be beautiful -- pansies are always beautiful. So stitch on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. Love the earrings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's see, been working on an embroidered sampler to honor our wedding. It's been 30 years and it has yellowed and I'm still not done. Maybe it's time to finish it. You can feel good about your nine years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous needlepoint! I am amazed at how one can have such patience to create a work of art like this! Your earrings are lovely too. You are a crafty and creative gal! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.