9/24/12

Three Credits Towards PhD...ProjectsHalfDone

Here's Credit Number One....
It's A Bag....what else would you expect from a 'Bag Lady' with a Knitting Machine named 'Bonda'.
What's the 'PhDone' part of this for my part?
Okay...I confess, I 'Didn'tDo' the Needlepoint Lily!
It is RePurposed from a framed picture to a PursePocket!
That's the PhDone Part!
With the Needlepoint Pocket de-framed, lined and ready to stitch, next came the Bonda BagBody. Yep, it takes less than thirty minutes to whip out a BagBody on Bonda.  I used the #4 plate and #4...Worsted Weight Acrylic Yarn. 

I cast on Bonda with 'Waste Yarn' and knitted the front first... keeping in mind the placement of the pocket, and that I wanted the section for the pocket to be knitted in black so the pocket would blend.   I also wanted to repeat most of the colors in the Lily Pocket...which worked out perfect for using up several PhDone skeins of yarn.

Once the front was knitted, consideration was given to what would be the bottom of the bag and the color that would wear best and also fit the scheme of the bag.  I think the burnt orange worked out great.

The 'Tweedy' looking yarn was perfect for the main color and there was more than a PhDone skein.  Bands of the coordinating colors in varied widths complete the back of the bag. 

Casted off with Waste Yarn which allows for picking up to either knit or crochet for finishing.  As you can see...I finished with crochet.


Crochet is such an easy and quick way to finish a knitted piece, and I love the mixes of textures it gives to the overall look of the bag.  That's why I chose to do the strap in the 'Afghan Stitch' aka Tunisian Crochet.  It makes for a sturdy strap as well.

Now for the decorating!!!!

With the Fall colors in the Lily Pocket being carried out through the knitted bag body, it seemed a perfect time to use the fall fabric I had in my stash for the lining.  It is machine stitched to the bag and then a running stitch of perl cotton to give a decorative look and to give the crocheted edging and bag opening stability.

More decorative touches are added with the Crocheted Shell Edging done in a DK weight yarn, and my FAVORITE  embellishment of the string of beads sewn to the strap. 
Isn't it amazing how an old necklace with a broken clasp can be Re-Purposed?
It's gives Extra Credits Towards my PhDone!
Here's a Hint of PhDone Number Two!
So, Ya'll Come Back!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reagan...please send me your email with link to your blog. My email is on the sidebar under Followers.
    Thanks,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.