According to the Georgian calendar, which is used over most of the world today, June is the sixth month. On the Roman calendar, it was considered the fourth month and had only 29 days. Julius Ceasar gave the month 30 days in 46 B.C., when he reformed the Roman Calendar.
Spring ends and summer begins around June 20, 21, or 22 in Texas...and the rest of the Northern Hemisphere.
It's the time that the flowers are beautiful. It is especially the month for roses....unless you live in Texas....they were done last month. However, the Rose is the Official Flower of the Month for June. The Pearl is the Birthstone for the month of June and other gems associated with June are Alexandrite and Moonstone. The June Bug, also known as June beetle, is the name for several large beetles seen in Texas...LARGE JUNE BUGS...during May and June. They are usually seen at night, when the light attracts them.
It Happened In June
Kentucky became the 15th State...June 1, 1792....Tennessee the 16th State...June 1, 1796
Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States during the Civil War...Born June 3, 1808
Texan George Bush, 41st President of US...Born June 12, 1924
The Continental Congress adopted the Flag of the United States June 14, 1777.
Arkansas became the 25th state on June 15, 1836
Eli Whitney applied for a patent on the cotton gin...June 20, 1782.
The Battle of Velasco, Texas....Fought June 25-26, 1832
First military conflict between Mexico and Texians....Read more HERE.
Then let us, one and all, be contented with our lot;
The June is here this morning, and the sun is shining hot;
Oh! let us fill our hearts up with the glory of the day,
And banish ev'ry doubt and care and sorrow far away.
James Whitcomb Riley
My neighbor moved here from Oregon last year in June.
She wrote home about Texas in the Summer.
- June 1st...Just moved to Texas! Now this is a state that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place...I've finally found my home...love it here!
- June14th...Really heating up. Got to 100 today....not a problem...live in an AC'd home, drive car with AC. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.
- June 30th...Had the yard landscaped with western plants. Lots of cactus and rocks. A breeze to maintain....no more mowing. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.
- July 10th...The temp hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this heat? At least, it's windy. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.
- July 15th...Fell asleep by the pool...3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed 3 days work. What a dumb thing to do...learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ole sun in Texas.
- July 25th...The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer and it's hot as hell. The house AC is on the fritz and the repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.
- July 30th...Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now...AC fried...repairman fired. Why did I ever come here?
- Aug. 4th...It's 115 degrees. Finally got the AC fixed...cost $500 and gets the temp down to 85. I hate this stupid state.
- Aug. 9th...Tried to run errands today...wore shorts...thought my butt was on fire when I sat on the car seat. Lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs. I need a vacation to Alaska.
- Aug. 10th...The weatherman says 'Hot and Sunny' today, and look for it to really warm up next week. What the H Edouble L!!! Doesn't it ever rain in this dang state? We're rationing water, my thousands of $$$$ landscape is drying up and blowing away...even cactus can't live in this Godforsaken State! God's Country my ____!!!!
- Aug. 15th...Welcome to HELL!! Temp is 115....Cactus dead. Forgot to crack car window...heat exploded the windshield...Texas Friendly Windshield Repairman said, "Howdy Ma'am, hot enough for ya"? My neighbor, Sue, had to bail me out of jail. Freaking Texas...what kind of sick demented idiot would want to live here??? I'm moving back to Oregon...right after the trial....Freaking Texas Friendly Windshield Repairman!!!
Happy June, Ya'll !!!!
As Always Thanks Beverly
Making Saturday Pink!!!